Low Voltage

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
09 Nov 2009 10:21 - 09 Nov 2009 10:37 #332363 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Low Voltage
Rebuild/Clean EVERY electrical connection and wires on the entire bike!
Make sure there is a good clean ground to both frame and engine. Metal on metal.

Pull the individual wires out of each plastic connector and metal brush them till they are shiny new. All connectors need to be crimped snug, nothing loose. Put a little di-electric grease on them before reconnecting to keep out moisture.

Replace any crusty, rotted (green) wires.

Charge the battery full, not connected to bike. Then hook up to your "new" wiring harness, and everything will work better, and you will have elliminated alot of possibilities.

Or... keep screwing around with variables in the wiring.

Start from the very beginning with a multimeter and check the stator condition, voltage output. The stator connectors should have infinite resistace (no connection) from any of the connectors to ground.

If the stator is not grounding, and is sending out good voltage then the RR pack IS to blame. Replace the RR with an origional RR pack with a sense wire and install correctly.

Here's the Rectifier/Regulator

Do you have an owners manual with a wiring diagram?

Here's the wiring diagram: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=269&Itemid=108

Best of Luck!
Don't go cheap!

Cheers. B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Nov 2009 10:37 by TeK9iNe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2009 10:55 #332371 by ssalyer
Replied by ssalyer on topic Low Voltage
Well, I just inspected the coil with the bad reading. There is a huge crack in the green plastic body. I'm thinking that is not good. What causes this and what effects could it have on the system?

Charging issue aside, the bike has moments of running really great and moments of running kind of shitty. Misfiring

Tek, Every inch of wire on this bike is 2 months old. All the connections are from Vintage Connections using their crimping tool. Every connection was put together with di-electric grease. I'm confident that the wiring is good. BUT, I will continue to check and recheck the connections.

I'm going to run a ground strap directly to the motor. Seems like that should be done

Once again thanks for the input.

1978 KZ1000 A2A

More
09 Nov 2009 11:55 #332376 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Low Voltage
ssalyer wrote:

Which wires would the primary circuit be? Each coil has a wire coming fron the ignition switch and one coming from the black box....

:unsure: What black box?

ssalyer wrote:
quote]Well, I just inspected the coil with the bad reading. There is a huge crack in the green plastic body. I'm thinking that is not good. What causes this and what effects could it have on the system? Charging issue aside, the bike has moments of running really great and moments of...Misfiring.[/quote]

Yep -- the crack is definitely not good. :lol:

The analysis is imo correct with regard to charging system being independent of the ignition system. With a good fully charged battery, the bike should perform perfectly well without any charging system components at all, at least until the battery runs down.

The coil crack would at the least allow moisture into the windings. Maybe resulted from overheating due to a short in the windings. :unsure: Just guessing.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Nov 2009 12:06 #332377 by ssalyer
The Black box thst is part of the Dyna electronic ignition

1978 KZ1000 A2A

More
09 Nov 2009 12:36 #332387 by Patton
ssalyer wrote:

The Black box thst is part of the Dyna electronic ignition

:unsure: An "older" Dyna model perhaps? Maybe a Dyna III?
Dyna-S has no box.
Current more sophisticated Dyna model has a box, but am thinking it's not black.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Nov 2009 13:25 #332398 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Low Voltage
the old dyna III had a box that contained the brains in remote location away from heat B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 Nov 2009 13:33 #332399 by ssalyer
Yes, the old Dyna III

1978 KZ1000 A2A

More
09 Nov 2009 13:38 #332400 by PLUMMEN
i actually prefered that older system ,but you should probably check with arai59 or trianglelaguna since they are the real experts on here.the rest of us are just waiting for our big break into capt morgan commercials! :laugh:

More
09 Nov 2009 13:46 #332406 by Patton
Here if needed are the Dyna III installation instructions.

Note specific emphasis on ground connection to engine case and not to frame.

Click here for > Dyna III Installation Instructions

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Nov 2009 13:51 #332407 by ssalyer
Ok, here's my question... The coil gets a short in a winding. This causes the coil to heat and crack. The coil is still working at least marginally because It's firing on all 4. It is still getting hot because of the short. Could the coil be pulling too much current?

1978 KZ1000 A2A

More
09 Nov 2009 13:54 #332408 by PLUMMEN
its pretty common for coils to get cracks since the heat from engine gets stuck under gas tank and bakes them,again check with the gurus though B)

More
09 Nov 2009 14:05 #332410 by ssalyer
Patton, very interesting. It used to be hooked to a lug on the engine. It got moved to the same lug on the frame as the other grounds.

1978 KZ1000 A2A