New rider, first bike...couple questions

More
02 Oct 2009 10:28 #325058 by tenyart
Hey all...I posted earlier in the new rider forum, but figured I'd post here to get a quicker answer on the technical questions. I just bought my first bike...a '78 KZ650B. It runs pretty well, so far. but it needs a few minor things that I hope to work on over the winter to have it ready to rock in the spring. What I've noticed that is needs so far:
1. the speedometer/Tach are not working, and only 1 indicator light works (braking light). Not sure if I need a whole new assembly or if anyone has any tips?
2. new seat lock; the current one has a key broken off in it.
3. has an aftermarket horn, but not hooked up
4. I have the turn signals, but they are not hooked up
5. has just a bar end mirror on the left side...as a newbie, I will feel more comfortable getting stock or better mirrors on there.
6. needs a chain guard
7. I will change the oil over the winter too.
8. new starter. it will occasionally kick over with the start button, but usually just seems to skip and wind out. But will start on first or second kick everytime.

any suggestions / tips you can provide is greatly appreciated. here's a pic as well.

T

'78 KZ650B
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2009 10:46 #325061 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic New rider, first bike...couple questions
1. Spedo and tach may only need new cables, order direct from Z1enterprises, easy fix.
2. Seat lock - I would take the bike to a locksmith to see if he can get it out for you. Then you do not require a new seat lock. Cheap fix. Others can be found for cheap on ebay.
3.Horn, simple fix. Just need to get power to it from the harness and ground it so it will work.
4. Turn signals are an easy fix, but will take a little effort. Mount them in the propper locations , need a power feed and a ground to operate.
5. As for mirrors, keep the bar end handy as you may want to install it again evenntually as you gain more experience. But for now, I have a set of stock mirrors if you want them, we can work out a price, or you can check ebay or a local salvage yard. All they do is screw into the RH and LH switch gear mounts.
6. Chain guard - a nice feature to have for safety. Easily found on ebay and can be installed in 5 mins with a 10mm wrench.
7. Oil change is a joke. 2 bolts under the bike, 1 towards the front is a 13mm or 17mm bolt, that is the drain. Have a cathc basin under that bolt and unscrew it. drain for 10mins. Then undo the bolt towards the rear of the oil pan and remove the oil filter and hardware. A new filter will rn you 10bucks or so. Put a new filter back in it. You will need to reinstall the bolt / fence/spring, washer, and filter in that order. The whole change , budget about 30 buck and 30 mins of time. After that change the oil filter every second change and the oil about every 500 to 700 miles depending on how anal you are about change intervals. Some guys go shorter and some longer. Castrol GTX or Mobil are good oils to use on each end of the price spectrum.
8. New starter, someone else will have to help you there. I find I like to use the kick anyway.

You have a nice bike and the paint scheme is cool. It looks as if the spoked wheels have been replaced by the cast alloy type and you are missing the grab rails in the back. But it looks like a great find and you will have a great time riding ang working on and enjoying your new bike.

Ride safe.

Yukabodos Buddy!!!

More
02 Oct 2009 10:56 #325063 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic New rider, first bike...couple questions
Kind of hard to see but it looks like you don't have a speedo cable going to the front hub and maybe no cable to the tach from the engine.

Get a good manual. Most here swear by a factory manual but anything is better than nothing.

It will have a wiring diagram and a troubleshooting section that should help.

When all else fails this place can help you but you are better off attacking one thing at a time so you and we don't get overwhelmed.

GLuck! It is an interesting looking bike. Nice!

*Change the oil 500-700 miles? I thought I was pretty bad changing the filter with every oil change! I'm usually around 2000.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
02 Oct 2009 11:31 #325068 by tenyart
Replied by tenyart on topic New rider, first bike...couple questions
thanks guys for the advice! I'm currently looking for an owners manual, but having a problem figuring out the exact model. I was just told it was a KZ650B. But looks like in 78 it was a B-2 or a B-2A??? I did find a manual on ebay for 78-79 B-2. I'm assuming that's the correct one for me to get...but wanted to make sure.
Thanks again...you guys are awesome.
T

'78 KZ650B

More
02 Oct 2009 12:05 - 02 Oct 2009 12:22 #325073 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New rider, first bike...couple questions
Unless the wheels and brakes have been swapped off anothher model, it's not a B2 or B2A. I'll send some info when I get home this evening that may help you pinpoint the model.

EDIT:

What is the VIN number (from steering neck) and engine number?

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 02 Oct 2009 12:22 by 650ed.

More
02 Oct 2009 17:11 #325104 by tenyart
thanks Ed. I'm not 100% sure if the wheels were swapped or not...I think they were. I know the VIN is KZ650BS15459 or something like that...I'm not 100% sure of the last numbers by memory. I'm not at home.
the way it looks now is closer to a KZ650 Custom...but I'm assuming with the B in the VIN, it's a one of the B models. but again...I'm just assuming. don't know for sure. I appreciate your help.
T

'78 KZ650B

More
02 Oct 2009 18:23 #325121 by 650ed
When you get a chance post the VIN and engine numbers and I'll check a couple sources to see the year/model. The front and rear wheels and brakes look like they're from a 1980 KZ650-F1 because of single front disk/ rear drum alloys. The wheels look similar to a Custom, but the Custom had dual front and single rear disks. If it turns out to be a KZ650-B one way to tell between a regular B2 and B2A is the carbs. The regular B came with VM24SS and had 64HP; the B2A came with Mikuni VM22SS and had 60HP. This may have been a Calif. emission thing, but I'm not sure. I can't say how to identify the VM22SS carbs without removing and measuring, but hopefully someone with better expertise on carbs will chime in. Ed

More
02 Oct 2009 18:50 #325131 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic New rider, first bike...couple questions
As far as your indicator light's go, you might want to check and see if the bulbs are burnt out before doing anything too drastic. When I first got my 400, none of the indicator or instrument bulbs worked.

Nice looking bike, you got it at the perfect time. Now you get to spend all winter going over it with a fine tooth comb getting ready for spring. Highly recommend a Factory Manual.

More
03 Oct 2009 09:41 #325241 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New rider, first bike...couple questions
Nice looking 650!

With a B in the Vin, that's your model.
Could have wheels off a 550 or and F model 650.
Give her a good going over, and have a blast when she's ready.
The 650 link in my signature will give you more info on the kz650s.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
04 Oct 2009 17:12 #325523 by tenyart
thanks guys for the help. here is the VIN KZ650BS14952. I will get the enging # tomorrow. I am storing the bike at work right now, so I can learn to ride in a controlled environment. I'm lucky enough that my company has HUGE parking lots and such for me to use.

'78 KZ650B

More
04 Oct 2009 17:39 #325528 by 650ed
When you can, take a look at the VIN stamped into the steering neck. I don't believe any would have had an "S" in the VIN. Ed

More
05 Oct 2009 06:40 #325614 by tenyart
will do. that's the number on the title, which now makes me worry. I appreciate your help Ed!

'78 KZ650B