mystery problem

More
23 Aug 2009 18:32 - 23 Aug 2009 18:35 #316022 by 2bskor
mystery problem was created by 2bskor
Shoot where to begin.:(

I have been having some starting problems as of late . The bike would have to turn over 5-10 revolutions before it would start and yes I resorted to using starting fluid spray:huh:

So after a while I started having battery problems because it had to turn over so much. I would charge it ant it would test ok and last for a while(few days) I put new plugs in and it turned over with less effort...then I noticed as of late it was popping more than usual out of the carbs almost like a spit or misfire.

I was driving it to work yesterday and as I was buzzing along the highway it was not running smooth almost labouring and almost as if I was running out of gas and then voila blahhhhhh the engine stops I coast to the side of the highway and it turns over but no go and usually when the bike is hot it starts with little effort.

So mr kz meets mr tow truck for the 1st time:(

I get it home and charge the battery which is most likely close to being toast, so i get my clymer out and start checking for shorts or diconnected wires (found none) checked the coils they tested ok checked the pickups they tested ok disconnected the ignitor plug cleaned reconnected by this time the battery was ready to go so in it went I tested the spark with the plug grounded and it sparked it didn't snaps as my clymer said but it did spark. So i started it after about five turns and it sounded pretty good i let it run for about ten minutes and it started to idle low and quit. I never took it for a ride.

I was working around the three fuses and had the panel opened and I touched a fuse and it was friggin hot. It was the white wire with the blue stripe I am pretty sure and when i took the fuse out the bike stopped, the other fuses were not hot but this one melted the plastic i am sure.

sorry for the length but what would make a fuse/wire so hot, a short or too much of a drain.

I want to try to solve this because the door rate at the bike shops are crazy and since i have two months of riding left i am sure it would be there 2-3 weeks for sure.

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter
Last edit: 23 Aug 2009 18:35 by 2bskor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2009 18:54 #316027 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic mystery problem
Dont have a clue, Do know that your fuse must be the wrong size(amp rateing) A fuse should BLOW not just stay hot enough to start melting plastic.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Aug 2009 19:08 #316030 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic mystery problem
my guess is its a bad battery...don't know why but thats what i think ...i think it's a bad cell.....and am gonna bet a new battery

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
23 Aug 2009 19:13 #316031 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic mystery problem
I'd pull the fuses one at a time and clean the clips with some Brasso and a cotton swab.Corrosion can cause overheating and melted insulation.

These older glass tubed fuses are the 1" long AGX type available at some auto parts stores and motorcycle shops.

The more common AGC type is 1 1/4" long and may not fit the fuse clips.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
23 Aug 2009 19:50 #316036 by SPR298
Replied by SPR298 on topic mystery problem
Are you using a the original rectifier and regulator? That might be the problem. Also look to see if the auto advance assembly is moving freely. I hope this is some help to you.

More
24 Aug 2009 01:58 #316067 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic mystery problem
If not already done, would also assure valve clearances are within specs.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Aug 2009 03:22 #316069 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic mystery problem
Check the voltage to your coils with a fully charged battery. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
24 Aug 2009 05:15 - 24 Aug 2009 05:18 #316071 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic mystery problem
Had a similar experience in a car one many moons ago... Was running, then started exhaust popping, back firing, lack to no power then died leaving us stranded in Paso Robles Ca....

Hitch hiked the way back to So cal... :angry:

Turned out it was the condenser (capacitor) in a points distributor ignition system.

If it applies (non EI), when was the last time your points and condenser where swapped out and adjusted?

NOTE: I realize this may be a stupid question but I'm not sure which bike we're speaking of.... Non mentioned in your profile...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 24 Aug 2009 05:18 by Old Man Rock.

More
24 Aug 2009 06:07 #316079 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic mystery problem
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The fuse holder is clean and the bike has pick up coils not points condensor etc. I do have a ballast resistor that could be a culprit??

More
24 Aug 2009 06:28 #316082 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic mystery problem
are you sure this is not a fuel/ carb related issue?

check the fuel filter, and maybe even look at the strainer in the tank.

just a thought

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
24 Aug 2009 07:28 #316099 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic mystery problem
At this point it could be almost anything. The fuel filter I can see and fuel seems to be flowing and my petcock is a vacuum type and I don't think it has a strainer but I tried it in the pri and reserve setting and it still acted the same.

I will take another look to be sure try the tank off the bike to make sure fuel flows free. Thanks for the help:laugh:

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
24 Aug 2009 08:16 #316102 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic mystery problem
I just had to replace the battery in my KZ750. It also would take 5 to 10 turns to start and checking the leads, the negative lead was always hotter than the pos. The battery (freshly charged)would measure 12.4 volts with no load, approx. 11 volts with the ignition on, and would drop to 8 volts when cranking engine over. I could see weak spark from coil for cyl. 1 and 4 and no spark from coil for 2-3. I went and got a new battery, cleaned the battery leads (shiny now) and that cured the starting problem. Now it starts within one turn, and runs way smoother on the road. I think the issue was the battery didn't have the amperage capacity--worn out. This worked for me, hopefully it might help you.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P