Need to install a kick-stand switch

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
28 Jul 2009 14:02 #309889 by Sandy
Had a mishap on our trip that could have been ugly...
Second day of our 2250 kilometer trip,we had a near crash because of the kick-stand.We had just pulled out of a view-point near Banff Alberta,and in the first left-hand twist it happened.Pushed us into the concrete barrier along the edge of the highway.
No serious damage to the bike,just footpegs,saddlebag got chewed,and the right-side engine guard bent up and busted the ignition-cover.Not a mark to us though.
If we DIDN'T have the saddlebags on,it would have been the Wardens knee-cap and leg.Her boot got a slight scuff on it...the boots that I JUST bought her,lol

She says she's SURE that I put the stand up(she saw me reaching for it) but I'm thinking that it didn't snap up into place.Either way...it's time to get a safety-switch installed,because like i said...it COULD have been ugly.Borrowed a new cover to get us home...all was good for the rest of the trip.We made SURE each time,to call out,"Kick-Stand!"

I have a Dyna2000 ignition system,and I'm wondering if I can use the factory clutch-switch WITH the Dyna2000,to somehow alert me if the kick-stand IS left down on take-off,once I wire up a contact switch down on the frame somewhere,where the kick-stand will activate it.

I'm open to any other ideas.
Thanks Guys.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2009 14:44 #309902 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Need to install a kick-stand switch
Can't help you on the install, but I sure am glad things worked out well.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
28 Jul 2009 15:15 #309908 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Need to install a kick-stand switch
I would get a bit involved with a relay and a switch, so that if you had the kick stand down and the neutral switch was off (meaning the bike was in gear) the horn would sound.

Use a micro switch on the kick stand somewhere. Tie into you nuetral safety in series with your kick stand switch and then use the relay to switch fused power to the horn. If you put the bike in gear with the kick stand down the horn would sound. It would take a bit of thinking but it would be pretty obvious you have a problem when the horn goes off, people tend to ignore indicator lights...

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
28 Jul 2009 15:41 #309911 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic Need to install a kick-stand switch
Tyler wrote:

I would get a bit involved with a relay and a switch, so that if you had the kick stand down and the neutral switch was off (meaning the bike was in gear) the horn would sound.

Use a micro switch on the kick stand somewhere. Tie into you nuetral safety in series with your kick stand switch and then use the relay to switch fused power to the horn. If you put the bike in gear with the kick stand down the horn would sound. It would take a bit of thinking but it would be pretty obvious you have a problem when the horn goes off, people tend to ignore indicator lights...

Or you could wire it to the ignition so if you put the bike in gear with the kickstand down it would turn off the engine. My last bike was setup like that from the factory.

I wouldn't use the clutch switch because you would have to stand there holding it in while the bike warms up.

1978 Z1-R

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
28 Jul 2009 15:50 #309914 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Need to install a kick-stand switch
Thanks for the replies,you guys.
And thanks,Craig.It was as close as I ever want to come.
It really upset the Warden,but like a champ,she shook it off and we continued on our way.We had a couple from Arizona,on their way to Alaska,stop by and he helped me pull the ignition cover off to inspect the internal parts for any damage before I fired it up again.They followed us until they had to turn off.2 MORE great biker-friends made on the road.

I'm thinking more of an ignition cut-out though,or something along the lines of not being able to turn the engine over if the kickstand is down.
What about tying in a kick-stand switch TO the clutch-switch,which already does NOT let the engine turn over unless the clutch-lever is pulled in...hmmmm.

The bike would never be able to run unless I was sitting on it with the kick-stand up,but no biggy,as I never leave it idling to warm it up anyway.
Doing that,you would have to have the clutch-lever pulled in AND the kick-stand up to start the engine.

Make any sense?
It would make for an easy(er) install,I think?
If I were to install a switch down on the frame,and then loop the wiring back into the clutch switch wiring??

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
28 Jul 2009 15:50 #309915 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Need to install a kick-stand switch
Another option (at least until you find a better solution)is to make a habit of using the centerstand. I very rarely use my sidestand; after a short while using the centerstand becomes automatic. I've never seen or heard of anyone driving off with the centerstand down. ;) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Jul 2009 15:55 #309916 by JakeB
Sandy wrote:

Thanks for the replies,you guys.
And thanks,Craig.It was as close as I ever want to come.
It really upset the Warden,but like a champ,she shook it off and we continued on our way.We had a couple from Arizona,on their way to Alaska,stop by and he helped me pull the ignition cover off to inspect the internal parts for any damage before I fired it up again.They followed us until they had to turn off.2 MORE great biker-friends made on the road.

I'm thinking more of an ignition cut-out though,or something along the lines of not being able to turn the engine over if the kickstand is down.
What about tying in a kick-stand switch TO the clutch-switch,which already does NOT let the engine turn over unless the clutch-lever is pulled in...hmmmm.

The bike would never be able to run unless I was sitting on it with the kick-stand up,but no biggy,as I never leave it idling to warm it up anyway.
Doing that,you would have to have the clutch-lever pulled in AND the kick-stand up to start the engine.

Make any sense?
It would make for an easy(er) install,I think?
If I were to install a switch down on the frame,and then loop the wiring back into the clutch switch wiring??

That would keep you from starting it with the kickstand down, but would not prevent you from putting it down once the engine is running.

1978 Z1-R

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
28 Jul 2009 15:59 - 28 Jul 2009 16:02 #309918 by Sandy
JakeB wrote:

I wouldn't use the clutch switch because you would have to stand there holding it in while the bike warms up.

Just thought of something...
The clutch-lever has to be pulled in ONLY to START the bike,right?
Once it's running,you go to neutral and you CAN leave it to idle.
But like I mentioned,I never leave the bike running unattended anyway.
I sit on the bike while I'm putting it through the choke stages,and once it's running good with the choke off,I shut it down and then get geared up,so...

I've heard too many stories where the rider fires up the bike from cold and then walks away,only to hear the engine start to rev up,searching for red-line.:ohmy:

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Last edit: 28 Jul 2009 16:02 by Sandy.

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
28 Jul 2009 16:00 #309919 by Sandy
650ed wrote:

Another option (at least until you find a better solution)is to make a habit of using the centerstand. I very rarely use my sidestand; after a short while using the centerstand becomes automatic. I've never seen or heard of anyone driving off with the centerstand down. ;) Ed

No center-stand,Ed...but thanks Bud B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
28 Jul 2009 16:04 #309922 by JakeB
Sandy wrote:

Tyler wrote:
Just thought of something...
The clutch-lever has to be pulled in ONLY to START the bike,right?
Once it's running,you go to neutral and you CAN leave it to idle.
But like I mentioned,I never leave the bike running unattended anyway.
I sit on the bike while I'm putting it through the choke stages,and once it's running good with the choke off,I shut it down and then get geared up,so...

Yeah, the clutch switch only locks out the starter not the ignition. Which is why if you wired your kickstand switch through it you could put the kickstand down again once the bike is started.

1978 Z1-R

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
28 Jul 2009 16:41 #309931 by Sandy
JakeB wrote:

[/quote]
Yeah, the clutch switch only locks out the starter not the ignition. Which is why if you wired your kickstand switch through it you could put the kickstand down again once the bike is started.[/quote]

And that's all I need,because I'm never on the bike with it running and the kickstand down at the same time.
I only have the bike running once I'm(we're) ready to pull and go.
As long as the switch would prevent me from starting the engine with the stand down,that's good enough.
I'll put more thought into it though,once I get there and get into doing it.
Now I have to find a good quality switch that will hold up to the elements,etc.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
28 Jul 2009 17:04 #309935 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Need to install a kick-stand switch
Put a stickey note on the tach that says "Kick Me" you know like the one you used to put on your buddy when you went clubbing. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"