No start on my kz305

More
10 Jul 2009 18:34 #306019 by 1960vw
No start on my kz305 was created by 1960vw
I have 12.4 volts at battery but ony 10 volts to points when I turn key on only. Should I not also have 12 volts there too? Took coils to Kawa shop and check out good. Fuel is getting to plugs. Sounds like it just wants to start but not enough hoomph. I was riding it the other day when it stumbled and died. Fuel starting pouring out through overflow tube. Got it started and limped home. Cleaned and rechecked points. Disassembled carb and cleaned everything. Put everything back now won't start. I will check spark in evening by pulling plug. Easier to see spark in dark.I pulled wires from coil and got 10 volts there as well. So , I'm guessing I've got a bad connection somewhere, Right? Thanks in advance.

1982 kz305

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2009 19:11 #306053 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic No start on my kz305
I'd suggest checking any electrical circuit related to the ignition for corrosion. Start at the right handle bar switch pod, looking for dirty/corroded contacts.

Next, remove the fuel tank and inspect all the electrical connectors for corrosion.

Check the older glass tubed fuses carefully as they can look good but have failed internally. Remove them one at a time, making note of what goes where.

The only good way I check these fuses is with a multimeter set on OHMS checking for continuity. The metal end caps can get loose and break the very small filiment ruining the fuse.

Thses are the type AGX not found in some auto parts stores like the more common AGC type is. The AGX is 1" long and the AGC is 1 1/4" long.

The headlight shell will have many main electrical connections in it, including the wiring from the ignition switch, so these need to be inspected.

A very good electrical contact cleaner/preservative I use is called De-oxit made by Caig Labs in San Diego. Their website is www.deoxit.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Jul 2009 20:12 #306337 by 1960vw
Replied by 1960vw on topic No start on my kz305
Thanks for reminding me to check connections. Lo and behold , it was a loose ground wire that attaches to one set of points. It just came right off as I was cleaning the points! The felt pad that runs on the advance cam is worn off. Is it important to have one? I just lightly greased the cam and the heel of the points, is that enough? Thanks!

1982 kz305