trying to get a project running - need some help

More
18 Jul 2009 07:15 #307782 by sharkynrk
Replied by sharkynrk on topic trying to get a project running - need some help
ok so i got another ic ignitor and put it in and nothing changed. so now I am looking to find another something that is wrong. i know that i am not getting any spark, and it looks like the ic ignitor is not properly grounding and ungrounding as the rotor passes through the pick up coil. looking at the ic ignitor I see 9 wires. 12v power, ground, 4 pickup coil wires, 2 ignition coil wires, and a wire to the junction box. the wire to the junction box goes to a diode plug that has three wires itself - kill switch, side stand, neutral.

now my meter read that the neutral switch is correct and i am getting a neutral dummy light, my meter said that the side stand is up and i am not getting the dummy light that says its down. how can i verfiy the kill switch is not stopping the ic ignitor from running? i had checked continuity previously on that switch and it looked good

what else can be stopping me - this is the roadblock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2009 11:08 #308233 by sharkynrk
any chance the start relay would allow the starter to turn but not the ic ignitor fire - or perhaps the diode bank?

More
21 Jul 2009 11:16 #308426 by sharkynrk
anyone have any other ideas? pretty stumped

More
21 Jul 2009 11:52 #308432 by Patton
If reading correctly, am understanding there is a green signal wire from igniter to a primary terminal on one coil, and a black signal wire from igniter to a primary terminal on the other coil.

Perhaps the green and black wires are reversed and not going to the correct coil. If not already done, could experiment by reversing the connections of the green and black wires to the coils.

This may not help anything, because seemingly the plugs would fire anyway with the wrong signal wire connected, just not firing at the correct time.

Just a thought. :unsure:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Jul 2009 17:46 #308483 by sharkynrk
yep, i pulled a plug and tried it on all four wires and none of them fired - thanks alot for the response though. at this point I really have a feeling that its got to be something that would uniformly stop the ic ignitor from firing anything, but can't seem to find what it could be

More
21 Jul 2009 18:17 #308494 by Patton
When the secondary winding loop was ohm-checked on each coil, were the plug caps installed during the ohm reading?

Could re-check secondary loop resistance with plug caps attached to help assure the caps are conducting, as sometimes the resistor chip built inside some caps can go bad, or maybe one or more caps is not properly connected to the plug wire.

Just thoughts. Still pondering.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Jul 2009 19:11 #308518 by sharkynrk
i pulled off the caps and wire so that i was checking the resistance over just the coil - without the wire. i was wondering if some how the wire coil connection could be the issue but for all four of them to be messed up?? i will happily check them again - what exactly should i be looking for

More
22 Jul 2009 02:40 #308602 by Patton
Because it's a loop, any disconnect between plug caps will disallow spark on both plugs.

Would ohm check between plug caps, to assure continuity throughout secondary loop.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Jul 2009 06:45 #308630 by sharkynrk
i will try that, just pull the plug wires and check for continuity between 1 and 4 and 2 and 3. I will post up when I get a chance to check - gotta go have oral surgery today so I will be out for a few. thanks again - and if anyone has any other ideas feel free to post up - I will take all the help I can get

More
23 Jul 2009 03:07 #308789 by sharkynrk
i was off by a day on my oral surgery, its today so I had a minute to check the above. i have a resistance of 21kOhms between the plug caps of 1 and 4 and 2 and 3.

More
23 Jul 2009 19:26 #308933 by sharkynrk
any ideas?

More
23 Jul 2009 20:50 #308950 by Patton
sharkynrk wrote:

...not getting any spark, and it looks like the ic ignitor is not properly grounding and ungrounding as the rotor passes through the pick up coil. looking at the ic ignitor I see 9 wires. 12v power, ground, 4 pickup coil wires, 2 ignition coil wires, and a wire to the junction box. the wire to the junction box goes to a diode plug that has three wires itself - kill switch, side stand, neutral...how can i verfiy the kill switch is not stopping the ic ignitor from running? i had checked continuity previously on that switch and it looked good...what else can be stopping me - this is the roadblock

looking at the ic ignitor I see 9 wires. 12v power, ground, 4 pickup coil wires, 2 ignition coil wires, and a wire to the junction box.

That's only eight wires, guessed as follows:

ONE 12v red/yellow power wire

FOUR pickup coil wires (2 to each pickup)

TWO ign coil wires
(black signal wire to one ign coil)
(green signal wire to the other ign coil)

ONE black/yellow ground wire

What is the 9th wire? :unsure:

how can i verfiy the kill switch is not stopping the ic ignitor from running?

Bat+ on red/yellow to ign coils from igniter should exist only with the ignition switch turned ON (and am presupposing this is the situation at hand).

With bat+ to coil, and grounded via signal wire through igniter, thereby creating magnetic field, the UNgrounding (via pickup coil to igniter) collapses the magnetic field, sending high intensity voltage through the secondary loop (firing the spark plugs). Am thinking the grounding function during coil charging time relies on the black/yellow wire from the igniter.

Is it certain that the black/yellow ground wire from the igniter is properly grounded? Could ohm-test black/yellow wire from igniter to engine.

Do the pickup coils rely on a power source? (As does the Dyna-S). And if so, has switched bat+ to pickup coils been verified?

Just shotgunning.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD