Rectifier/Regulator Combo Issue...grounding?

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
06 Jul 2009 14:13 - 06 Jul 2009 14:14 #304805 by Strizzzo
Looks like I managed to flub the install of my new reg/rec combo unit. Bike's been running fine but seems not to be charging. Recently put in a new gel battery which holds mongo charge, so it wasn't until I started noticing a declining start effort that I realized I had an issue. (side note - much credit to the new gel unit that it took this long...and no mo spilled juice to deal with!)

I think I have it wired in correctly...as you'll see in the pic....the reg/rec combo unit lead has the green plug + 1 white lead (next to my thumb)which I attached to the white which runs into the fuse box...then there's a white and a white/red (finger) which come from the fuse box and lead to the positive battery mount.

Maybe I've got that hogmawed. Only other thing I can think of is that maybe the ground aint right. I have it run to a ground screw behind the seat catch. Could new frame powdercoat be buggering a proper ground?

Like I said...bike doesn't seem to be having any other electrical issues..

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jul 2009 14:14 by Strizzzo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2009 14:32 #304815 by MFolks
Powder coat is a non conductor,so scrape off the grounding area untill it's clean. A file,or fine sandpaper should work.

The battery is a very important part of the bikes electrical system. I'd check all of the grounds for paint removal.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
06 Jul 2009 14:39 #304816 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Rectifier/Regulator Combo Issue...grounding?
You think I'd be better off grounding the reg/rec directly to the negative terminal as long as the battery itself is grounded properly?

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
06 Jul 2009 15:20 #304840 by keith1
Strizzzo wrote:

You think I'd be better off grounding the reg/rec directly to the negative terminal as long as the battery itself is grounded properly?

can you ground it to the ground point on motor behind kickstand?....thats where i grounded mine.....

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
28 Jul 2009 13:27 #309882 by Strizzzo
Well, let's see now.

It seemed like I had the issue licked. I sanded off the powdercoat and, just like that, the battery seemed to charge right up and I tested a couple strong starts.

Then, lo and behold, on a third attempt it started up, but there was some sort of ominous flash/pop. Best as I can tell, it was from the fuse area. Visual inspection yields no blown fuse and no apparent scorches on any connections in the area.

The electric start doesn't work again. I can hear the circuit "click" once when the button is pushed, but that's it. Bike still starts on kick and seems to run fine.

Slightly stumped and guessing that, whether through stupidity or bad luck, I managed to fry something important. Wondering if this may have something to do with the new Deka gel battery I installed which supposedly has more action. Or I mangled the new reg/rec combo install....

Any help appreciated, have a long trip looming end of next week and would feel better without electrical gremlins climbing through my mind.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
28 Jul 2009 13:38 #309885 by Sandy
Exactly,how many wires are coming off of the new unit,and what colours are they?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
28 Jul 2009 14:04 #309890 by Strizzzo
Coming out of the combo reg/rec there's a green plug, which runs into the green receiver on the junction panel, and 1 white lead which I have attached to the white lead which runs into the fuse box.

All the wires which terminate in the green plug are yellow. The unit cam from Jeff @ Z1.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
28 Jul 2009 14:23 #309894 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic Rectifier/Regulator Combo Issue...grounding?
Is this the Rec/Reg you're using?

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA
Attachments:

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
28 Jul 2009 14:25 #309895 by Strizzzo
yup - that's the one

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
28 Jul 2009 14:36 #309897 by Sandy
Ok,the one that I installed a few years ago didn't have the plug,just bare wires.
7 in total,2 green to ground,2 red to power,and the 3 yellow to the stator.
It was a,"heavy-Duty" model,with 2 wires for each battery terminal instead of just 1.
Not much help for you,sorry.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
28 Jul 2009 14:42 #309899 by Patton
Strizzzo wrote:

...seemed like I had the issue licked...battery seemed to charge right up and I tested a couple strong starts...on a third attempt it started up, but there was some sort of ominous flash/pop. Best as I can tell, it was from the fuse area. Visual inspection yields no blown fuse and no apparent scorches on any connections in the area. The electric start doesn't work again. I can hear the circuit "click" once when the button is pushed, but that's it. Bike still starts on kick and seems to run fine.

Slightly stumped and guessing that, whether through stupidity or bad luck, I managed to fry something important. Wondering if this may have something to do with the new Deka gel battery I installed which supposedly has more action. Or I mangled the new reg/rec combo install....

Any help appreciated, have a long trip looming end of next week and would feel better without electrical gremlins climbing through my mind.

Am pretty sure the new gel battery isn't causing a problem.

Perhaps the ominous flash/pop is unrelated to installation of the reg/rec combo. Maybe it was the starter solenoid, or otherwise related to the starter.

If not already done, would first assure clean snug connections of battery cables at terminals, and where negative cable attaches to engine.

Then test the charging system. Measure voltage across battery terminals, looking for 12+ volts at idle and 14+ volts at 3000~4000 rpm. Too high indicates possibility of failed regulator. Too low indicates possibility of failed rectifier.

Fuse condition may be deceiving. And clips at wire ends may be corroded or worn away. Would consult wiring diagram for starter fuse, if fitted, and concentrate on that particular fuse and its end connections. Could use ohmmeter to verify circuit through fuse.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
28 Jul 2009 14:42 #309900 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic Rectifier/Regulator Combo Issue...grounding?
I had the same issue (not charging). I was going to use the same one you purchased, but after searching around on other sites they all this model for replacing the regulator and rectifier.

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA
Attachments: