Rectifier/Regulator Combo Issue...grounding?

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
28 Jul 2009 14:51 #309904 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Rectifier/Regulator Combo Issue...grounding?
thanks for the navigation ....it's off to sleuth I go. Will report back with progress/regress.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
03 Aug 2009 06:32 #311115 by Strizzzo
So I believe I have identified this as a shot starter solenoid and have ordered a replacement from Jeff.

Question is - am i likely to do any damage by riding the bike for some distance between now and when I replace the solenoid?

It seems to run fine when kicked over & I need to ride it from Maine to NY tonight. Looming long trip departure on Thursday night and NYC is the rally point and prep-spot. Assuming I do no grievous wrong by riding it down sans working solenoid, then I can swap it out there tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thansk for the feedback.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
03 Aug 2009 08:36 #311152 by Patton
Strizzzo wrote:

So I believe I have identified this as a shot starter solenoid and have ordered a replacement from Jeff.

Question is - am i likely to do any damage by riding the bike for some distance between now and when I replace the solenoid?

It seems to run fine when kicked over & I need to ride it from Maine to NY tonight. Looming long trip departure on Thursday night and NYC is the rally point and prep-spot. Assuming I do no grievous wrong by riding it down sans working solenoid, then I can swap it out there tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thansk for the feedback.

Riding with defective starter solenoid is okay.

Meanwhile, would avoid pressing the start button in the righthand handlebar switchgear -- although pressing it probably won't hurt anything.

Enjoy the ride! :cheer: And relish the kick starting, especially when using it around Harley riders that don't have a kicker! :laugh:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
04 Aug 2009 09:55 #311494 by Strizzzo
Thanks Patton - appreciated!

Ran like a dream down to NYC from Maine last night...nary a hiccup. I'll be kickin' my way to Wisconsin and back through Canada over the next week or two....will post with a full report upon return.

Be well,
-birch

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME