Anybody Try to Dial In a Mechanical Advancer?

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jun 2009 22:07 - 30 Jun 2009 22:08 #303544 by bountyhunter
Anybody Try to Dial In a Mechanical Advancer? was created by bountyhunter
I always wondered about this: on my 750 twin, it has the mechanical (centrifugal) advancer with springs. It is supposed to allow you to set the timing to the "F" mark at idle where the weights are not thrown out and then at 3900 RPM, the timing would advance far enough to align with the double line set.

Problem is, the advancer never has had enough "dyanamic range" even when new. If I set it at idle, it doesn't advance far enough at high RPM. Set it right up high, and it is too advanced at idle. It isn't way off, I set it midway between and it runs pretty good.

The advancer is sound mechanically and working as designed (as far as I see) but it needs more range.

Anybody ever tune these at all?

I am thinking you would have to play around with the springs?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Jun 2009 22:08 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2009 03:31 #303560 by Patton
bountyhunter wrote:

I always wondered about this: on my 750 twin, it has the mechanical (centrifugal) advancer with springs. It is supposed to allow you to set the timing to the "F" mark at idle where the weights are not thrown out and then at 3900 RPM, the timing would advance far enough to align with the double line set.

Problem is, the advancer never has had enough "dyanamic range" even when new. If I set it at idle, it doesn't advance far enough at high RPM. Set it right up high, and it is too advanced at idle. It isn't way off, I set it midway between and it runs pretty good.

The advancer is sound mechanically and working as designed (as far as I see) but it needs more range.

Anybody ever tune these at all?

I am thinking you would have to play around with the springs?

Am thinking the KZ1000's reach full advance before 2500 rpm (say 2250~2450).

Don't know the rpm operating range of KZ750 twin, but guessing generally lower than the fours, and with a lower redline.

To me, more guessing, the 3900 rpm seems excessive, and should perhaps be closer to the fours.

Advancer rpm specs might be shown in the FSM.

Perhaps the advancer is damaged or sticking or otherwise defective.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jul 2009 08:18 #303597 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic Anybody Try to Dial In a Mechanical Advancer?
To get more range you would expect the springs to "stretch" more.Is that correct? Could you achieve the same by ovaling out the holes the end of the spring attach to? Next question that "springs" to mind is...have you got a spare advancer to try this with?

1980 KZ500 B2

More
01 Jul 2009 08:27 - 01 Jul 2009 08:30 #303603 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Anybody Try to Dial In a Mechanical Advancer?
Mmm, It is the spring that would need to be changed. The trick is to find a spring with a lighter pull rate and is the same length as the original. Finding that rate would be the hard part.

I wonder if extra weight could be added to the weights in order to get them thrown out earlier in the rpm range?

Maybe springs from a four cylinder are the same length but lighter and can swap over?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 01 Jul 2009 08:30 by OKC_Kent.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
01 Jul 2009 10:12 #303623 by WABBMW
I used to do this on cars. Ford Motor Co. distributors, say 1957 - 1970 are designed very similar to the Kawasaki advancer. The stock Kawasaki advancer should not be very far off, if any. It probably just needs some "tweaking".

The counterweights are plenty heavy. The trick, like was mentioned earlier, is to change to a lighter spring or springs, to get a quicker rate of advance. The ideal, is to have the unit fully retarded at say 1,000 RPM. That way the idle will be stable, and the timing can be accurately set. There should be some preload on the springs when the engine is stopped, so that full retard will occur.

Then, advance should begin at perhaps 1,200 RPM, and reach full advance by about 3,000 RPM.

A good hardware store should have a selection of suitable springs. It will take a good workout with a timing light, and some patience, to get this correct.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2009 13:12 #303638 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Anybody Try to Dial In a Mechanical Advancer?
Patton wrote:

Am thinking the KZ1000's reach full advance before 2500 rpm (say 2250~2450).

Don't know the rpm operating range of KZ750 twin, but guessing generally lower than the fours, and with a lower redline.

To me, more guessing, the 3900 rpm seems excessive, and should perhaps be closer to the fours.

Advancer rpm specs might be shown in the FSM.

Perhaps the advancer is damaged or sticking or otherwise defective.

Good Luck! :)

The advancer is in very good shape and it has always worked like this. The FSM does show the advance curves. It is indeed designed to reach full advance of 30 degrees at 3900 RPM. Mine always maxes out sooner.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2009 13:13 #303639 by bountyhunter
SPARKY47 wrote:

To get more range you would expect the springs to "stretch" more.Is that correct? Could you achieve the same by ovaling out the holes the end of the spring attach to? Next question that "springs" to mind is...have you got a spare advancer to try this with?

I am trying to find a spare so I can screw with one. I am thinking maybe the springs don't hold it closed well enough at idle which uses up some of the advance range.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2009 13:15 #303641 by bountyhunter
OKC_Kent wrote:

Mmm, It is the spring that would need to be changed. The trick is to find a spring with a lighter pull rate and is the same length as the original. Finding that rate would be the hard part.

I wonder if extra weight could be added to the weights in order to get them thrown out earlier in the rpm range?

Maybe springs from a four cylinder are the same length but lighter and can swap over?

The real problem is that the range of advance is mechanically limited, not by the springs. There is a "full open" position it can't go past and a full closed position. But, if the springs don't hold it fully closed at idle, you waste some of the range when you have to turn the plate to bring the timing back to the proper point there.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2009 13:17 #303642 by bountyhunter
WABBMW wrote:

I used to do this on cars. Ford Motor Co. distributors, say 1957 - 1970 are designed very similar to the Kawasaki advancer. The stock Kawasaki advancer should not be very far off, if any. It probably just needs some "tweaking".

The counterweights are plenty heavy. The trick, like was mentioned earlier, is to change to a lighter spring or springs, to get a quicker rate of advance. The ideal, is to have the unit fully retarded at say 1,000 RPM. That way the idle will be stable, and the timing can be accurately set. There should be some preload on the springs when the engine is stopped, so that full retard will occur.

I am guessing that's what it is not doing. I will try to adjust it and see what's up.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2009 14:50 #303657 by bountyhunter
It is the stupid springs. They are made of VERY hard steel and have stretched slightly over time. There is no tension at all to hold it fully closed (full retard position) so the idle timing has to be jacked to make up for it and that means it can't advance fully at high RPM.

Speaking of fully retarded: just went to the dealer to buy the springs and, of course, they do not sell them. The whole advancer assembly is shown (for about $200) and even those are not available.

Thanks again Kawasaki.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Jul 2009 15:10 #303659 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic Anybody Try to Dial In a Mechanical Advancer?
bountyhunter, measure the springs and post it up. Someone must have some spare. I'd let you have a couple but Im in England. But if all fails...just say.

1980 KZ500 B2

More
01 Jul 2009 15:39 #303663 by SQLGuy
If you have an Ace hardware locally, try them. They carry a pretty good selection of generic springs.

Harbor Freight is another possibility. They carry little plastic compartmentalized case kits of springs.

'82 SECA 750 - converted to fuel injection with Microsquirt and a bunch of home-made pieces.
'83 GPz 750 - mostly stock... so far

Project page: residentialcolorado.com/SECA_750i.htm