kz550 spontaneous light issue

More
27 Jun 2009 15:05 #302523 by AeroSS_87
kz550 spontaneous light issue was created by AeroSS_87
Hey all. I've got an 82 kz550c that's having some problems with the lights I can't figure out. Since I got the bike out of storage for the summer, it has randomly had the tail running light, front/rear turn running lights, and gauge lights not come on. The first few times it did it, would only be a few seconds and if it didn't come back on by itself, I could just restart the bike and all is well. Last week, they just stopped working altogether no matter what I do. Also, the high beam headlight started going out at random, but I think that's just a bulb going out.

I'm kind of lost for troubleshooting this one.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2009 15:34 #302532 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kz550 spontaneous light issue
I'd advise removing the headlight and check the connections. There is a three prong connector that plugs into the bulb. For the tail light, again remove the lens, checking the bulbs, sockets and ground wires.

The turn signals will need the lens removed to check for the condition of the bulbs,grounds, and the sockets.

You may have to remove the seat to access the wiring going to the rear turn signals and brake and running light circuits.

The color code for most of if not all Kawasaki's is:RED wire, this is the running light circuit and will be on anytime the engine is running,BLUE(sometimes with a RED stripe)the brake light circuit, should come on when the brake is applied either with the front or rear brake system. And BLACK with YELLOW stripe, the ground circuit.

Having a multimeter either digital or analog will help in trouble shooting. Some guys use a self powered test light for continuity checking.

These bikes develop corrosion in the handlebar switches, and in the many and various electrical connections, so trouble shooting can take a while trying to find intermittent operations.

One of the members here created a troubleshooting guide for just this problem:

The Dreaded Intermittent Electrical Problem!

Here is the most basic method I know:

1) Charge your battery if you can.
2) Disconnect the Black lead from the (-) Battery terminal... or Red form the (+) Battery terminal, it does not matter which one.
3) Connect one of the following test setups in series with the Battery terminal and lead:
3.1) A 12 V light bulb,
3.2) A 12 V test light,
3.3) A 12 V test buzzer or,
3.4) A 12 V horn... you get the idea.
4) With the Ignition Switch OFF, go through your harness and wiggle the wires while looking/listening for the test setup to go on/start buzzing.
5) With the Ignition Switch ON, repeat the test except this time the looking/listening for the test setup to go on/stop buzzing.
6) Be prepared to open the Ignition switch and check/test for solder joint failure and or circuit board micro breaks (don't ask how I know this ).
7) Be prepared to pull the wires out of the Head Light to test for failures at or near the grommet.
8) Be prepared to open the harness at or near the Steering Neck for failures. This is where wires tend to exhibit fatigue due to repetitive movement.
9) Be prepared to open the left and right switch gear to search for rust and or broken parts. CAUTION: watch out for fling springs, ball bearings and stuff. Do indoors on White sheet (again don't ask ).
10) Be prepared to follow the heavy gauge wire from the Starter Solenoid (Relay) to the starter for bare ware wire exposure. Especially near bends and grommets.
11) If you can reproduce the fault symptom your are pretty much home free. Be prepare to find and repair/replace any internal wire breaks, insulation break downs, exposed wires, rubber grommet failures, etc. Often, shrink tubing will solve the problem temporarily.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Jan 2010 16:27 #343437 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic kz550 spontaneous light issue
Anybody know if this problem ever got solved? I am having exactly the same problem and I'm not looking forward to digging into the wires =(

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
18 Jan 2010 17:40 #343453 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kz550 spontaneous light issue
As I recommended in the earlier post,only by checking the many and various electrical connetions can you see if corrosion or loose wireing is causing this problem.

Do the connections one at a time to avoid mixing what went where.

I suggest going to either a Radio Shack in the U.S. or any good electronic supply store and buy a can of "De-oxit".

It's a very good contact cleaner/preservative I use a lot on electical connectors. Their website is www.deoxit.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Jan 2010 04:36 #343476 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic kz550 spontaneous light issue
"tail running light, front/rear turn running lights, and gauge lights not come on. "...

Sorry only have a 1980 wiring diagram but should be close I would think....

The only thing that is truly common between all the above mentioned is your ground! Check there first... continuity/deox/new connectors.

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
19 Jan 2010 10:52 #343518 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic kz550 spontaneous light issue
The brown wire coming out of the ignition switch powers all of those things. It may be ignition switch is going bad. The ignition is powered from the yellow wire, so the bike will still run when the lights go out. One thing you can check, when the lights go out, measure the voltage on the brown/white wire at the fuses, and also measure the voltage on the blue/white wire on the fuses. If it's zero on both, then it's most likely the ignition switch. It could also be one of the two lower amp fuses or holders. That would cause the tail/gauge/turns to go out without killing the headlight.

You need to fix this if it is the ignition switch. If the brown wire does not get power, the regulator cannot regulate. Your next symptom would be light bulbs burning out.

You can get them from various suppliers. Try Z1 enterprises first.

More
19 Jan 2010 11:11 #343520 by loudhvx
Old Man Rock wrote:

"tail running light, front/rear turn running lights, and gauge lights not come on. "...

Sorry only have a 1980 wiring diagram but should be close I would think....

The only thing that is truly common between all the above mentioned is your ground! Check there first... continuity/deox/new connectors.

By the way, that Clymer diagram has a major error in the wiring near the ignition switch.
Attachments:

More
19 Jan 2010 11:12 #343521 by loudhvx
After a little photochop, here is what it should look like.

Attachments:

More
19 Jan 2010 12:57 #343537 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic kz550 spontaneous light issue
Well no freakin wonder Loudh....

Was wondering where you had the +12Vdc being common..... hahahahahahahaha.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Again, this was out of 1980 and this obviously is not accurate nor is it setup for running lights so most likely different, who knows...

Anyone have an OEM 1982 Kaw diagram they can post?

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
19 Jan 2010 14:28 #343546 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz550 spontaneous light issue
Old Man Rock wrote:

...Anyone have an OEM 1982 Kaw diagram they can post?

What about the 1982 KZ550 wiring diagrams found in Filebase under KZ Information? :unsure:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
19 Jan 2010 14:30 #343547 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic kz550 spontaneous light issue
I also thought ignition switch, and I would suggest that you check the fuse box as well for loose connections and fuse tabs. I had similar problems on a KZ750. I went over to a blade type fuse box and they all went away.

More
19 Jan 2010 17:21 #343563 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz550 spontaneous light issue
loudhvx wrote:

The brown wire coming out of the ignition switch powers all of those things. It may be ignition switch is going bad.

They do go bad with age. Mine did.

1979 KZ-750 Twin