Installing Dyna DRL-300 rev limiter tonight...

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2009 08:07 #294610 by sheik*yerbouti
Installing Dyna DRL-300 rev limiter tonight... was created by sheik*yerbouti
Title says it all. I have to set dip switches to correspond to how many sparks happen with 2 full crank rotations.

Bike is a 1981 KZ1000, Dyna-S, 2 x Dyna 3 ohm dual output green coils.

I know the bike wastes a spark at the top of the exhaust stroke.

Is it 2 or 4 sparks per coil in 2 full revolutions of the crank...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bdog
  • User
  • Sweep the leg johnny!!!
More
28 May 2009 14:23 #294678 by Bdog
The sparks fly each time the crank turns one full rotation, once in each cylinder. So I guess 4 sparks in two turns. And, what a wonderful upgrade, I think it's next for my old girl. Good luck. Give a decent write up so we know whats involved. Thanks.

Brandon

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/338400-a-little-bit-of-an-upgrade

'77 KZ650-C1 -- build
810 kit
GPZ cams and carbs
ZX6R front end
GSXR600 Rear
Kerker
Dyna
Accel
ContiMotion tires (120/60-17&170/60-17)

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2009 09:05 #296267 by sheik*yerbouti
Replied by sheik*yerbouti on topic Installing Dyna DRL-300 rev limiter tonight...
Well I don't know about decent write up but... ; )

Basically you need to hook up to switched 12V, ground, and I used the optional switched 12V for shift kill on the horn button that was unused. (no horns on any of my scoots)

Then you run one wire to each of the coils. It said to run to the terminal opposite the plug leads (if dyna coils).

That was it. I revved to 3k, hit the horn button and it grounded out the coils and the engine was off, i release and she came right back. System tested and working.

Then I set the RPM limit to the lowest, 6,000rpm. Took her for a brief ride, and after well warmed I cracked the gas and it went right past it to 7,000rpm where i quit and back to the garage.

I called Dyna and they said I need it set to 4 not 8. Flipped the appropriate dip switches and that did the trick. Same test had her clamp it at 5,900 rpm. I set it for 9,000rpm and off I went.