KZ750 ignition timing question.

More
12 May 2009 21:27 #290707 by telefunkin
KZ750 ignition timing question. was created by telefunkin
So I need to check my ignition timing, 81 KZ750 LTD. I have the Clymer manual and it gives no indication on how to adjust it. In the tune up section it tells you how to check if the timing is correct then tells you to refer to the ignition advance section if it is not. That section only tells you how to dissasemble and reassemble it. Anyone out there want to fill me in on how to advance and retard the timing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2009 22:16 #290710 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750 ignition timing question.
I looked at a diagram on babbittsonline.com. It appears that the plate theat spins near the igniter has slotted holes so you can loosen the hold down screws and move the plate with respsect to the shaft mount holder piece. That would adjust the timing.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 May 2009 23:40 #290734 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ750 ignition timing question.
On some models the timing is not meant to be adjustable.

My 81 550 is that way. Two of the three mounting holes are slots, but one was a round hole to prevent alteration of the timing. A little work with a rat-tail file fixed that.

More
13 May 2009 03:16 #290742 by JR
Replied by JR on topic KZ750 ignition timing question.
Mine does not adjust. Factory set electronic ignition. Its been years since I had to mess with points. I love it :) :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
13 May 2009 16:12 #290883 by telefunkin
Replied by telefunkin on topic KZ750 ignition timing question.
yep bounty, just cracked it open and that is how it is set up. When i line up the "F" timing mark the flywheel is out almost a quarter of an inch setting off the spark too early.

I got 2 of the screws out but the third is being a biatch. The previous owner must of been in here before and stripped out the screwhead so I can't get a grip to remove. Now i gotta get down to the hardware store and get some kind of bit to pull this out.

Thanks...

More
13 May 2009 17:14 #290897 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ750 ignition timing question.
telefunkin wrote:

yep bounty, just cracked it open and that is how it is set up. When i line up the "F" timing mark the flywheel is out almost a quarter of an inch setting off the spark too early.

I got 2 of the screws out but the third is being a biatch. The previous owner must of been in here before and stripped out the screwhead so I can't get a grip to remove. Now i gotta get down to the hardware store and get some kind of bit to pull this out.

Thanks...

Would try a reverse drill bit. Go very slow and easy. The screw should just turn itself out.

I prefer this method over the "easy-out" method.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 May 2009 19:00 #290944 by telefunkin
Thanks Patton, I did get it out now I am stumped again. Turns out that one of the screw holes is set and not adjustable. I went in and took off the advancer to have a look at it and I think it may be seized but am not sure. How much movement should there be in the weights? I have maybe a millimeter at best. And another thing that is confusing me is the manual tells you how to take it apart but for the reassembly instructions it just states "Install by reversing the removal steps. Note: When assembling the advancer unit align the rotor peak with the "TEC" mark(see figure 65).". Figure 65 only indicates the "TEC" mark and not the rotor peak. I have no clue what the rotor peak is.

More
14 May 2009 00:27 #291023 by loudhvx
loudhvx wrote:

On some models the timing is not meant to be adjustable.

My 81 550 is that way. Two of the three mounting holes are slots, but one was a round hole to prevent alteration of the timing. A little work with a rat-tail file fixed that.

Make the hole into a slot using the rat tail file.

More
14 May 2009 00:30 - 14 May 2009 00:32 #291024 by loudhvx
The weights should move more than a mm for sure.

Here is how it should look. The point of the rotor points toward the side with the "TEC" logo.

Those arms move outward all the way to the little tabs that are bent upward. One tab is right near the T of the TEC logo. Notice how the arm has a little recess that accomodates the tab. The tab stops the arm from moving outward any further.

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 May 2009 00:32 by loudhvx.

More
14 May 2009 09:05 #291095 by telefunkin
that is what mine looks like but the weights are stuck in this position.

More
14 May 2009 12:06 #291173 by telefunkin
Well i managed to get everything moving and lubed up again. Pu it back on and fired up the bike and it made a great improvement. It's not backfiring anymore and will rev up to 12,000 rpms where it would only do 9,000 before. Took her for a spin on the highway and got it up to about 150kmph. I probably could have gone a bit higher than that but there was too much traffic. Before it would top out at 120kmph.

got a new problem to deal with now. After I got back home I was playing around with the idle speed and suddenly sprung a bad oil leak in behind the shift pedal. As soon as i fix one thing on this bike something else breaks down. it's getting pretty frustrating.

More
30 Sep 2015 06:35 #692596 by Dirty Magic
Replied by Dirty Magic on topic KZ750 ignition timing question.
Hiya.
I'm in the middle of have a look at mine as i'v been getting some erratic and inconsistent ignition. As suspected my ATU was full of dirt and dead bugs.
But now I'm lookin at it and I think it my have been assembled 180 degrees over? (PO?)
The beak of the lobe should be pointing at the TEC mark right?

Zombie 750.
AKA a 1980 KZ 750 H1 that's spent 80% of its life dead in a bush!
Attachments: