Headlight does no always work- now fixed. Thanks

• wifeofaKZlover
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Apr 2009 11:11 - 25 Apr 2009 19:17 #284397 by wifeofaKZlover
Headlight does no always work- now fixed. Thanks was created by wifeofaKZlover
I am hoping everyone here will have some ideas on how to help my husband.
He owns a 1976 KZ 900. He bought it 4 years ago and it had been in an accident. A friend of ours had T-boned a state truck. The front was pretty badly damaged and needed lots of repair. He has repaired everything and is having one last problem. The headlight does not always work. Sometimes when he starts it the headlight comes on, but most times it doesn't. Her has changed the bulb, replaced the headlight, changed the fuses and unplug the wires and plugged them back in. He continues to have the same problem. Any ideas? We are currently in desperate of the bike. Both of our cars are out of commission dxue to having bad transmissions. He needs this bike to get him back and forth to work and he works at night, so the headlight is a must and he has to be able to rely on the fact that it will always come on. Thanks for any help in advance.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2009 19:17 by wifeofaKZlover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2009 11:39 #284399 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Headlight does no always work
I suspect an electronic system Kawasaki designed called the "Reserve Lighting Device" is the cause of your problem.

It's designed to turn on the headlight after the engine is started and to automatically switch from high or low beam if the beam burns out. If you were driving at night and the low beam went out, it would turn on the high beam at lower voltage to avoid blinding on coming drivers.

On my bike it is in a black box about 1 1/2"x2" with a six pin electrical plug on the left side beneath the seat.It will have stamped on it "Reserve Lighting Device".

It can be bypassed but you will need the wiring diagram to figure out which wires to cut and splice as each bike's wiring may be different.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• wifeofaKZlover
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Apr 2009 12:55 #284415 by wifeofaKZlover
Replied by wifeofaKZlover on topic Headlight does no always work
Thank you. I will tell my husband when he comes home from work tonight. I appreciate the response.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:20 #284422 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Headlight does no always work
If not a loose or corroded connector somewhere along the line in the wiring to the headlight, there may be an issue in the right-hand handlebar switch itself, and which might or might not be repairable. Perhaps a shot of WD40 into the switch might help.

If the switch is the problem and is damaged beyond repair, a new switch is available from Z1E.

Click here > r/h handlebar switch

Am thinking the reserve lighting system was later introduced on the 1978 KZ1000-D cafe racer model.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Apr 2009 18:22 #284559 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Headlight does no always work
Goodwife, Many Kaw's had a 2 function starter switch (in r/h h.bar switch) when starter button was pushed, it broke contact w/headlight ckt for better cranking current, when released, headlight was resumed.since problem is intermittant, try flicking starter button a couple times when h/l's fail. if this helps, try a dis-assemble/clean. a word of caution, these bits are old and can be fragile... they were never intended to be serviced and no replacement bits were offerd,, New OE switches are pricy. luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
23 Apr 2009 18:27 #284565 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Headlight does no always work
if all else fails wire headlight to a hot wire on accesory side of ignition switch till you can sort it out.you should be able to find a wire in headlight bucket thats hot only when ignition is on. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
23 Apr 2009 18:38 - 24 Apr 2009 17:51 #284574 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Headlight does no always work
The oem 1976 KZ900 has a simple on-off switch for the headlight. And did not have a lights-always-on system, or a reserve headlight system, or an off-while-cranking system. And there is also the standard lefthand dimmer switch.

If the headlight is not burnt out on both filaments, it is supposed to burn when the headlight switch is moved into the ON position. May require switching the dimmer if either filament is blown. (Ignition switch should be ON for the headlight to burn.)

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 Apr 2009 17:51 by Patton.

• wifeofaKZlover
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Apr 2009 11:24 #284805 by wifeofaKZlover
Thank you very much for all of the great responses. It is suppose to be super nice here in Pa. this weekend so he will be spending it outside trying to get that headlight working. I have read to him every one's response and he says thanks a lot he now has somewhere to start looking. He sure was getting really frustrated. After 4 years of working on this bike little by little he is very anxious to ride it. I will let all of you know how he makes out. Thanks again.

More
24 Apr 2009 11:38 #284808 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Headlight does no always work
I had the exact same problem this week on the same bike. The main light was intermittent and the highbeam would work. Then they both went out. Most likely due to driving it around after it had been sitting. It uses a standard headlight found at any auto store so I changed it and problem solved. Try cleaning the fuse box also...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

• wifeofaKZlover
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Apr 2009 19:09 #285249 by wifeofaKZlover
I wanted to let everyone know that my husband has fixed the headlight. He sprayed some liquid wrench into the ignition switch and wiggled the key around and that took care of the problem. It now works every time. Thank you so much for all of the help. He is building new brackets for the faring and putting on the turn signals and then he is ready to go. Thank so much for the help.