dyna 3 ohm coils

More
19 Apr 2009 00:22 #282998 by dodak1967
dyna 3 ohm coils was created by dodak1967
I got an 80 kz 1000 ltd. The stock coils measure 1.5 ohms and one coil recently died. I have a pair of 3 ohm dyna coils at hand. Is there a problem using the 3 ohm coils with the cdi ignition? Do I still need to use the resistor spark plug caps or can I use the plug wires with the straight clip-ons? Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
West Allis, Wisconsin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2009 04:14 #283004 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic dyna 3 ohm coils
Tom, there is a ballast resistor you remove (unique to the 1979/80 1000's) - it is a ceramic block, about 6" x 1" x 1" that's rated at around 1.5 ohm - remove that from the circuit.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
19 Apr 2009 07:51 #283063 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic dyna 3 ohm coils
The stock electronic ignition is not CDI, though it is often mis-labeled as such. It is important to note because you cannot use CDI coils with that ignition.

The 3-ohm Dyna coils should work just fine with the factory electronic ignition. As Jeff said, you should get rid of the ceramic ballast resistor. To do that you just connect the two wires together that went to the ballast. (That is assuming you are using both Dyna coils, if you use a stock coil, you need to retain the ballast for that coil.)

If you are using new plug wires, and they are suppression core (resistor wire), you don't need resistor plugs or resistor plug caps. Just one of the three items (wires or plugs or caps) should be resistor type, but not more than one. You can run without any resistor type items, but that will make electronic devices act strange. Meters, tachs, timing lights etc., will be affected.