7 ohm blue Dyna coils on a KZ650 B2 ?

More
18 Apr 2009 07:31 #282798 by colorfull
7 ohm blue Dyna coils on a KZ650 B2 ? was created by colorfull
I need to change the ignition on my 1978 KZ650 as the original coils melted...
Ultimately the plan is to also switch the ignition for a Dyna-S module.

Can I use the blue Dyna 7ohm coils? What's the main difference with the 3 ohm green coils everyone seems to use? I've been told that the blue coils will be easier on the bike's electrical system... Can anyone chime in on this?

Thanks!

BTW, the bike is a daily driver, not a track/race bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2009 07:54 #282803 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic 7 ohm blue Dyna coils on a KZ650 B2 ?
If you're going to add a Dyna S use the green coils, they are matched to the Dyna S ignition and will offer the best performance/reliability. Plus the 3 ohm coils will work well enough with your stock system until you switch to the Dyna S.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
18 Apr 2009 08:04 - 18 Apr 2009 08:10 #282806 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 7 ohm blue Dyna coils on a KZ650 B2 ?
3 -ohm is the minimum Dyna recommends for the Dyna S. That will produce the hottest spark at higher RPMs. Any lower, and you run the risk of burning out the Dyna S.

The Dyna S nearly doubles the dwell angle, and thus the dwell time at any given RPM, compared to the stock points. Because of this, the coils get double their typical average current. This means the bike's charging system has to provide nearly double the average current to the ignition coils. This indeed does tax the charging system considerably. All of this is if you are using the stock 4-ohm coils. If you go to the 3-ohm coils, it taxes the charging system even more.

The benefits of the extra dwell are only realized at higher RPMs. At lower RPMs, the extra dwell is only wasting power in the form of heating the coils unnecessarily.

If the bike ran good, originally, with 4-ohm coils and points (which only had 180 degree dwell), then it should run good, if not better, with 4-ohm coils and the Dyna S (which approaches 360 degree dwell). That is assuming the coils are like new, and can handle the extra dwell (and heat) caused by the Dyna S.

7-ohm coils will reduce the average current useage, but at the risk of less spark energy. It may greatly reduce the benefits of the Dyna S at higher RPMs. I wouldn't recommend the 7-ohm coils. They probably won't work with points or other electronic ignitions like the factory Kaw ignitions.

If your charging system is rock solid, and you don't spend a lot of time idling in traffic, then get the 3-ohm coils. Otherwise, 4-ohm coils will save you some electrical power, and will work fine with points.

If there is a chance you would consider the factory electronic ignition (which is far more efficient on power), then you'd want 3-ohm coils.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2009 08:10 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffwerner

More
18 Apr 2009 13:19 #282863 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic 7 ohm blue Dyna coils on a KZ650 B2 ?
The Blue coils are NOT seven ohms - they are ZERO POINT SEVEN (0.7) ohm - and not suitable for the Dyna-S.

They are very high energy race coils =- to be used with an ignition like the Dyna 4000.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
18 Apr 2009 13:24 #282864 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 7 ohm blue Dyna coils on a KZ650 B2 ?
If you are staying with the standard points ignition, the best choice is to use an OEM 4 Ohm coil. Z1 sells them at a very reasonable price, or did last time I looked.

They might also work very well with a Dyna ignition designed to work with a 3 Ohm coil, as it will not affect performance much to increase the impedance slightly. As mentioned above, using a coil too LOW in impedance can blow the ignition.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Apr 2009 14:23 #282871 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic 7 ohm blue Dyna coils on a KZ650 B2 ?
colorfull wrote:

I need to change the ignition on my 1978 KZ650 as the original coils melted...

You will need to check your regulator. I suspect it has failed. When you get the bike running, check the voltage across the battery terminals. You don't want to be seeing anything higher than 15 volts at 4,000rpm or more. Ideally it should be around 14 volts.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
18 Apr 2009 22:58 #282987 by colorfull
Replied by colorfull on topic 7 ohm blue Dyna coils on a KZ650 B2 ?
Thank you all for the help.
I'll probably save a bit and get the complete kit from Z1.
But before I'll take your advice Jeff, and check the electrical system first.
The KZ won't be out anytime soon, bummer, because in downtown traffic I like it better than my Ducati. But at least I won't be walking! :-p

Cheers!