Regulator snafu

More
13 Apr 2009 19:42 #281505 by GI
Regulator snafu was created by GI
It's been a while since I've posted, been away a bit...
…1998 KZ1000P with all the cop stuff stripped…
...I took the Kaw out of storage and have been riding for about a month. Last week, I smelled what I would describe as burning plastic and upon parking, I noticed smoke coming from under the battery box. I tore everything apart and I believe I identified what happened. The regulator attached to the underside of the battery box was cracked on the insulation portion. I pried the insulation off and uncovered what looked like an exposed and very fried wire. It had been a few days since it was smoking, but it still had a light burnt smell.
So I'm 99% sure that the regulator is the issue. I ordered a "new" used one and will install when it arrives (hopefully by Thursday so I don't miss the big ride on Friday).
So here’s my concern…what could have caused the regulator to crap out like that? I know it’s supposed to get hot, but I figured with an air-cooled set up it would have been a pretty stout fixture. If it wasn’t just a freak accident, is there a way to make sure that this will not happen again.

Thanks

Chris

1979 KZ1000 Shaft Drive w/Vetter Luggage
1972 Yamaha JT60
1983 Yamaha DT100
1996 KZ1000P...gone, but not forgotten. ;(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2009 20:40 #281532 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Regulator snafu
Electronics like this have a finite life; they can work great for years and then one day quit with no rhyme or reason. Batteries are the same way; consider yourself lucky to get five years out of a battery.

The charging systems on these older bikes function with the alternator putting the full output to the regulator/rectifier which then directs the excess power to be released as heat. Possible the reg/rect. was marginal from the factory and all it took to fail was a voltage surge or a current demand higher than it was designed for.

Being that this was once a police motorcycle, we have no idea of what electrical loads were put upon this charging system.

If you han't all ready I'd suggest the alternator stator winding be checked for output(about 50 volts A.C. at 4000 rpm) at all three yellow wire combinations (or what other color they used) and then take a multi-meter and check the resistance of the windings.

Check the conditions of the main fuse block and the reg/rect. electrical connectors;look for burned/melted pins/lugs in them.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.