HORNS are messed up

More
11 Apr 2009 19:07 #280810 by Darkangel
HORNS are messed up was created by Darkangel
Just bought a new pair of horns and it is one of the models that the ground is also where you mount the horn to the brackets...Well after having to run a 12V supply to my horn, as soon as it touches the frame...it goes off....So me question is...What are the colors to the wires to the horn switch...because i am going to run the power to the switch instead of the ground..And the horn will just have the chassis ground..and the switch will be on the 12V going to the horn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2009 19:49 #280830 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic HORNS are messed up
yes you need to run power through the button,thats what breaks the circuit.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Apr 2009 19:55 #280834 by Darkangel
Replied by Darkangel on topic HORNS are messed up
Well see...the horns that were on the bike didn't have this problem, because they were not connected to the frame. Grounding them out..So they have a constant 12V, brown wire, and the ground wire black and white wire...going to horn, but the switch is breaking ground...not the 12V. The brown wire for some odd reason no longer works...so I ran a 12v to the horn...But now that i have this problem I want to redo the switch....Does anyone know the wire colors to the horn?

More
11 Apr 2009 19:59 #280836 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic HORNS are messed up
ah i see your problem,none of my bikeshave horns on them.on the kz1000 it looks like the brown wire is power to horn then the black wire grounds at switch.:(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Apr 2009 20:17 #280850 by Darkangel
yeah...and i want to reverse this...but I need to be sure...if the black wire and brown wire that are on the horns...are they same..as that going to the switch.

More
12 Apr 2009 06:28 #280938 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic HORNS are messed up
It would probably be better to use the stock horn wiring and switch to operate a relay. If the new horns draw more current than the stocker, the handle bar switch will probably burn up in short order. A relay like those used for the coil mod would work very well by wiring up the coil terminals of the relay to the existing horn wiring.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
12 Apr 2009 19:21 #281195 by Darkangel
Ok...my horns did come with a relay...problem is...the brown wire that is 12v going to the horns is no longer hot...so I had to run a 12v wire to the horns...But.....I did not wire in the relay....But how would this cure the problem that these horns were made to have a chassis ground, and a switchable 12v.