Starter '82 KZ750

• roysclockgun
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Mar 2009 08:26 #275788 by roysclockgun
Starter '82 KZ750 was created by roysclockgun
I got my '82 KZ750 Std. Model back from my son. He rode it until last summer and covered it in the barn. Brought it to Florida. Put charger on the battery, after topping off acid. Charged 24 hours. Horn loud and lights bright. Push starter button and get nothing. No sign of attempt to turn over. Hooked up jumper cables to truck and let truck run ten minutes. Still no sound of turn over when I push the starter button. The dash lights indicate power, but when I push the start button, the dash lights do not dim, as I believe they should, if the starter motor is getting power. What to look for first?
Steven in DeLand Florida

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2009 10:58 #275835 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic Starter '82 KZ750
Are you pulling in the clutch when pushing the starter button? There is an ignition lock out to prevent you starting the bike in gear. Do not start the bike from a car or truck while the truck is running; you can cause electrical problems.

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

More
27 Mar 2009 11:03 #275837 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter '82 KZ750
Remove the seat and look for a fuse block containing maybe five fuses, they are probably the older glass tubed type that fail internally and look good. Remove them one at a time and with either a self powered test light or a multimeter set on ohms, check the fuse for continuity.

The fuse ends may have seperated from the fuse element ruining the fuse. The local auto parts store should carry the AGX style fuses I believe, in 10,20,and 30 amp ratings.

While the fuses are out of the holder,clean the clips that secure the fuses looking for green corrosion and tightness.

I's look at the heavy gauge battery cables next for being clean and tight. Check the cables going to the starter solenoid as this is an important part of the starting circuit.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 Mar 2009 11:18 #275844 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Starter '82 KZ750
roysclockgun wrote:

...'82 KZ750... Horn loud and lights bright. Push starter button and get nothing. No sign of attempt to turn over... no sound of turn over when I push the starter button. The dash lights indicate power, but when I push the start button, the dash lights do not dim, as I believe they should, if the starter motor is getting power. What to look for first?....

What to look for first?

If not already done, assure Kill switch is in RUN position.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• roysclockgun
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Apr 2009 19:00 #279299 by roysclockgun
Replied by roysclockgun on topic Starter '82 KZ750
Solution found! Mice had chewed wiring since last summer's ride. I repaired the wiring and the engine coughed and began to run, but ratty sounding. No wonder it was ratty. When I got some RPMs up, a mouse nest blew out the back. The little rascal had carried leaves, fuzzy stuff and anything else she could find and had built a snug nest inside the muffler innards. The entire mess blew out onto the driveway. No mouse blew out, however.