Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Battery Acid Disposal 01 Mar 2006 15:09 #27352

• Shoey949
  • Shoey949's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I need some acid to fill a battery and they only sell the acid in 6 quart packages. Obviosly I can't use all that and my dad doesn't just want battery acid lying around, so I need some way environmentally freindly to dispose of it.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Nate
'83 GPz550H2 w/'81 GPz 550D1 engine
Dynojet Stage 3 kit, MAC 4-1, UNI Pods, DYNA coils and plug wires, WG ignition mod

Grand Rapids, MI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battery Acid Disposal 01 Mar 2006 15:23 #27357

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
take your battery to an auto parts store and let them fill it for you...some will do this
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

Battery Acid Disposal 01 Mar 2006 18:02 #27392

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 175
You need to call around and find 1 quart containers of battery acid. Most auto parts stores, hardware stores, lawn & garden stores carry acid.

Locally here, I can walk in several of the bigger home improvement stores and see 3-4 different sizes of battery acid on the shelf.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Battery Acid Disposal 01 Mar 2006 18:09 #27395

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1271
Do you mean six ounce packages? Lord man! A gallon and a half of sulfuric acid, you could fill twenty motorcycle batteries.
If you're talking about disposing of a few ounces of acid just carefully pour it in a toilet and flush. It'll be well diluted by the time it gets into your plumbing.

Another way to dispose of it is to pour it onto some concrete that you don't care about. It'll be consumed as it reacts with the alkline concrete. After it's cooked for a while just flush it away with cold water.

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2006/03/01 21:14
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Battery Acid Disposal 01 Mar 2006 18:55 #27404

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Baking soda will neutralize it. However, if you have that much I would look into dropping it off at your local Hazardous Household Waste Recycling Center.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Battery Acid Disposal 01 Mar 2006 19:11 #27411

• Shoey949
  • User
You said home imporvement stores carry battery acid? What section of the store? Also yes the only size battery acid available at car quest and napa was 6 quarts. Of course both refused to fill it.

Thanks,
Nate
Dynojet Stage 3 kit, MAC 4-1, UNI Pods, DYNA coils and plug wires, WG ignition mod

Grand Rapids, MI

Battery Acid Disposal 01 Mar 2006 19:26 #27420

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
You mention needing acid to fill a battery. Are you filling a dry charged battery for the first time or are you trying to add acid to an older battery that needs replenishment?

If it is an older battery you never add acid to it. You only used distilled water. The only time you add acid is when you have a brand new battery that has never been filled.

If you have a battery that has been neglected and the electrolyte level has dropped down below the plates most likely the plates have began to sulfate and the battery is on it's way out.

Let us know what you are trying to do.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Battery Acid Disposal 01 Mar 2006 20:51 #27456

• GargantuChet
  • User
I was recently looking for battery acid, and was having some trouble. Pep Boys didn't carry it, CarQuest only carried 6-qt or 5gal containers.

My local Advance happened to sell it, in a reasonably-sized container (slightly larger than needed to fill a battery).

As far as disposal, pour a bunch of baking soda into a bucket, then slowly pour the battery acid in. It's not highly volatile -- I got plenty on my skin with no ill effects -- but you don't want to splash any into your eyes. And do it outside -- the stuff smells a bit.

But do call around first. Try local auto parts stores, I'd expect Parts America, Advance, or Auto Zone to carry it, Pep Boys will try to sell you distilled water, and CarQuest or NAPA will probably only have big containers, but call them all anyways just to be sure. You'll need a lot of baking soda to neutralize the leftovers from 6 quarts....

Battery Acid Disposal 02 Mar 2006 04:51 #27487

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Sulfuric acid is the most pleasant to use for cleaning cement off brick and for etching concrete. If you can't find any smaller quantity, perhaps you could spiff things up around the house with the leftovers...It's also handy for cleaning up quarry or other porous tiles after grouting.

-Duck

Battery Acid Disposal 02 Mar 2006 10:49 #27563

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Can you use battery acid to clean up concrete, like in oil stains? Because the parking area in the garage is looking pretty shabby...If it can dissolve concrete I wouldn't want to leave it on too long:whistle:
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Battery Acid Disposal 02 Mar 2006 12:12 #27582

• Shoey949
  • User
Hold on this could work out great! There is also some oil/brake fluid on the garage floor which my dad is upset about also. So maybe kill two birds with one stone!

Grand Rapids, MI

Battery Acid Disposal 02 Mar 2006 15:04 #27621

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
It's not going to do you much good with oil. It's good for cleaning up excess cement because it reacts with the carbonate.
Bricks that have gotten the white mess on them while mortaring, porous tiles with mess from grouting, concrete that's gottne on other stuff.

For oil on concrete use your Zepp degreaser. If you have a pool, the powdered chlorine works great.

-Duck

• Page: