Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Battery Acid Disposal 02 Mar 2006 16:42 #27652

• wireman
  • Visitor
use portland cement to clean up oil grease stains on concrete.rub it in like floordry and sweep the rest across the floor it will look like new concrete!:whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battery Acid Disposal 02 Mar 2006 18:56 #27690

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
Duck wrote:

Sulfuric acid is the most pleasant to use for cleaning cement off brick and for etching concrete. If you can't find any smaller quantity, perhaps you could spiff things up around the house with the leftovers...It's also handy for cleaning up quarry or other porous tiles after grouting.

-Duck

I think you are speaking of Muratic acid ?

Battery Acid Disposal 02 Mar 2006 18:57 #27691

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
wireman wrote:

use portland cement to clean up oil grease stains on concrete.rub it in like floordry and sweep the rest across the floor it will look like new concrete!:whistle:

So your saying that your pipe threader made a horrible mess on the new cement and you found a way to actually cover it?:P

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2006/03/02 21:58

Battery Acid Disposal 02 Mar 2006 19:28 #27710

• wireman
  • Visitor
yes i did,that bag just happened to rip in the same place in the same place the truck leaked in that driveway!:whistle: concrete finisher taught me that trick,it actually works:woohoo:

Battery Acid Disposal 03 Mar 2006 03:30 #27793

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Thanks for new trick! -Duck

Battery Acid Disposal 03 Mar 2006 03:34 #27794

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Muratic is HCl and NASTY compared to H(2)SO(4) for cleaning brick/tile. It costs a bit less around here. It fumes a lot more and fumes are more irritating. I use Muratic for cleaning scale off steel, outdoors, wear rubber, stay upwind. -Duck

Battery Acid Disposal 03 Mar 2006 09:13 #27857

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
I'm with savedrider. Are you sure you need acid not distilled water?

Battery Acid Disposal 03 Mar 2006 12:46 #27892

• Shoey949
  • Shoey949's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Well here's the deal, it's an embarrasing story. I first bought the acid last spring to fill two motorcycle batteries, everything went fine but as you can imagine I had a lot of battery acid left,so I wrapped it up in a paper bag and left it outside. Well it spent a whole year outside including a michigan winter. Then a couple of weeks ago I purchased a brand new battery for a project bike I've been working on. I filled the battery with the old acid, each cell between the high and low marks as it should be. It charged fine. I was working on the lights and starter on this bike, but wasn't actually running it so the battery wasn't getting any charge. So eventually its power drained, and went to recharge it and it won't. I can even get enough voltage in the battery to turn over the starter. So my thought was the acid had gone bad, I don't know what else to do. I don't have a hydrometer to check the battery, but I may be doing so soon. I was just thinking of draining all the old acid out and refilling it.

Thanks,
Nate
'83 GPz550H2 w/'81 GPz 550D1 engine
Dynojet Stage 3 kit, MAC 4-1, UNI Pods, DYNA coils and plug wires, WG ignition mod

Grand Rapids, MI

Battery Acid Disposal 03 Mar 2006 19:49 #28017

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Hmmmmm Nate, I'm no expert here, but it is possible that your old acid was bad. Maybe water got inside and diluted it?

At any rate, I think you might be screwed if you try to drain and refill. It is the initial chemical reaction that occurs when adding acid that is important. By possibly adding bad acid to a new battery I think you might have missed your opportunity to properly setup the battery. Did the battery get warm, bubble, and gas real good when you added acid? It should, it's part of the reaction.

Acid is cheap enough though, so you could always pick some up and try to refill and charge it. Make sure you use a 1amp or less charger. I just picked up a real nice Battery Tender that charges at 750mah.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

• Page: