Quick question about HEI mod. (Urgent)

• mushroom_toy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jan 2009 19:26 #260555 by mushroom_toy
Quick question about HEI mod. (Urgent) was created by mushroom_toy
Alrigth Im putting everything together but i have a quick question. According to the diagram im supposed to run the diodes, resistor, connect them together and run them to the connected red and blue pickup wires?

If this is the case wouldnt this ground the positive out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mushroom_toy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jan 2009 23:09 #260586 by mushroom_toy
Replied by mushroom_toy on topic Quick question about HEI mod. (Urgent)
OK well does this look right guys? I wired the diodes, and the resistor into the red/blue pickup wires, and they are indicated in the pictures with a yellow terminal taped to the diodes and a red one taped to the resistor. Is this right?

More
27 Jan 2009 23:41 - 27 Jan 2009 23:42 #260587 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Quick question about HEI mod. (Urgent)
mushroom_toy wrote:

Alrigth Im putting everything together but i have a quick question. According to the diagram im supposed to run the diodes, resistor, connect them together and run them to the connected red and blue pickup wires?

If this is the case wouldnt this ground the positive out?

The positive pickup wires are the black and yellow wires.
The red and blues pickup wires are being tied to a 1.39 volt source created by the resistor and two diodes. This 1.39 volts is putting a DC bias voltage on the pickups. The black and yellow wires will have an AC signal in addition to the DC bias.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jan 2009 23:42 by loudhvx.

• mushroom_toy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jan 2009 23:48 #260588 by mushroom_toy
Thanks for the reply. You seem like a very smart guy especially for coming up with the idea. :)

Can you tell by the pictures if that looks rigtht to you?

Your explanation makes more sense to me know. Thanks.

More
27 Jan 2009 23:53 #260589 by loudhvx
mushroom_toy wrote:

OK well does this look right guys? I wired the diodes, and the resistor into the red/blue pickup wires, and they are indicated in the pictures with a yellow terminal taped to the diodes and a red one taped to the resistor. Is this right?

Unfortunately, I can't really tell what's happening with all that electrical tape. Are you sure it's a 1 watt resistor there? For some reason it looks more like a 1/2 watt to me, but that could just be because of the camera.

I'm more worried about the legs of the resistor and diodes breaking off. They are not really meant to be mounted that way. I would recommend soldering them closer together and taping them into a little bundle so their legs won't vibrate off. Then run wires from the bundle to where they need to go.

Why is there a red connector just floating without a wire attached to it?

More
27 Jan 2009 23:59 #260590 by loudhvx
By the way, I'm glad you are trying the mod. I'll try to help all I can. Can you maybe peel back or cut off some of the tape so I can see the wire colors? That would help me trace them in the pictures.

• mushroom_toy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jan 2009 00:01 #260591 by mushroom_toy
Yeah its a 1 watt. I made sure to follow your parts list for the exact radioshack #s. Part # on my pack of resistors is 271-152. I soldered the diodes with a short piece of wire in between then bent most of the arm back on the wire before I soldered. Im gonna be wrapping em up better just wanted to make sure that I had everything right at first. It will be fine to wrap them up in tape correct? The resistor as well? That connector both the yellow and red are taped to the harness to distinguish between the diodes and resister. Just taped there for photo references.

More
28 Jan 2009 00:05 #260592 by loudhvx
Ok then. Yes the resistor can be taped. I did the same on mine and it's worked for several years now. I'm still having trouble tracing the wires on your photos, though.
Attachments:

• mushroom_toy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jan 2009 00:14 #260593 by mushroom_toy
Alright sorry about that. yeah I think all the wires are ran correctly as I triple checked all of them as I was reading and looking at the diagrams. I took a couple of better pics (i hope) the lighting in my room hates my dslr. The main concern I had was with the diodes and resistor but after the explaining I think I should be good to go. I would have peeled back more tape, but i wanted to make sure they were taped up real good before I start the bundling layer. XD I tried to seperate the wires a bit.

More
28 Jan 2009 00:28 #260594 by loudhvx
I think it looks right, but I can't swear to it.

KZrider forum seems to be having difficulties right now. It's loading really slowly and starting to give error messages like site not found etc., so it may crash soon.

• mushroom_toy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jan 2009 00:35 #260595 by mushroom_toy
Its doing the same for me. im gonna get thi thing bundled up and see how she does tomorrow. ill let ya know how things go. Thanks for the idea.

More
28 Jan 2009 00:52 #260599 by loudhvx
Check your other thread. There is definitely something wrong with the power going to the coils. It should be the same as battery voltage when the key is on. You are losing it somewhere.. mostlikely in the ignition switch, kill switch, fuse box or even a connector.

If the HEI mod is done correctly, you can temporarily hardwire the positive side of the coils to the battery positive terminal. But use a fuse in line for safety.