3 Phase Stator

More
24 Jan 2009 11:15 #259889 by Donny1139
3 Phase Stator was created by Donny1139
Hello KZriders,

This is my first post to the site even though I've been coming here and reading a ton of posts from people. I'm currently working on 1983 KZ750F1 and am having some issues that I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for anywhere.

I've been tracing through my electrical wiring diagrams in my manual trying to solve some charging problems that I've had last summer. I've found a few exposed wires and things that have been fixed but one thing that concerns me is the stator. I noticed that the stator I have on the bike has 2 yellow wires coming out of it, where the wiring diagram clearly shows 3 yellow wires. I've read that the 3 wires are for 3 phase stators. If the bike has a 2 wire stator and the wiring diagram clearly calls for a 3 wire one, why exactly was this stator on the bike? The wiring harness has 3 bullet connectors that should go to the stator but only two were connected, the other was just hanging there. Could this be something that the previous owner changed? Will going to a new 3 phase stator require a new rectifier? I could post some pictures if need be.

Thanks a bunch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2009 11:44 #259895 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 3 Phase Stator
You might need some help to test the stator output as it requires the engine to be running to check it.

Fully charge the battery,with the stator output disconnected from the regulator/rectifier(usually at the plug)start the engine and take it to 4k rpm. the output will be measured in Alternating current (A.C.). On my 82 GPZ1100 B2 the voltage will be around 50 volts so be careful about getting shocked.

A good analog or digital meter set to A.C. and the 250 volt scale should read the output. If all three phases read good,connect the loose yellow bullet connector and this should solve the charging problem.

The website www.electrosport.com has a troubleshooting tree(diagram) to explain this to you better.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Jan 2009 11:47 #259896 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 3 Phase Stator
Most likely someone replaced the 3-phase stator with a 1-phase stator. This setup can still use the 3-phase reg/rec, so there's a chance the 3-phase reg/rec is still there. Does the stator cover look like the right one for your bike? Or is it possible the cover looks like an older 650 cover?

I'm not sure where the reg/rec is on your bike, but all you have to do is look at it to see if it has 3 yellow wires.

More
24 Jan 2009 12:30 #259910 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 3 Phase Stator
Hello Don, and WELCOME to the forum! :)
We're glad you're here and look forward to your posts! :cheer:

Is the engine presently in running condition? If so, the overall charging system performance may be initially tested by measuring voltage across the battery terminals. Look for 12+ volts at idle rpm, and for 14+ volts at 3-4000 rpm.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD