little screws for points - where to find??

More
23 Dec 2008 10:11 #254281 by jzanutto
I'm just getting into this 78KZ that I picked up, and I popped off the right side cover to check the points. whoever tightened those screws last time torqued them up good!!! were talkin like 800 foot pounds! They are all messed up.

where can I get some more of those little screws? or what size are they, maybe I can get some little allen-head ones?

1978 KZ650B 2004 BMW R1150RT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2008 16:52 #254347 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic little screws for points - where to find??
they are 4mm and yes you should be able to get them from any decent bolt supply place in allen head the reason they are so tight is they were probably installed with an impact driver and possibly itstalled with loctite on the threads. if you want to get the factory philips screws out with no hassle buy you self a good quality impact driver or be prepared to replace all the screws in your bike when the heads get messed up with a regular screwdriver.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
24 Dec 2008 02:20 #254407 by jzanutto
Replied by jzanutto on topic little screws for points - where to find??
yeah I have an impact remover that has worked on every other bike Ive worked on, but these are tighter than any other I've ever seen.

the left side sprocket cover bolts are broken off as well, I've been getting those out one at a time over the last 2 days..:angry:

1978 KZ650B 2004 BMW R1150RT

More
24 Dec 2008 06:55 #254427 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic little screws for points - where to find??
I would think these screws are JIS and M3. JIS screws have a slightly different type of slot than does an SAE Phillips head screw and you WILL strip them easily if you don't use a JIS screwdriver. You will NOT be able to find JIS driver bits... use a JIS #1 screwdriver to remove these or most of the screws on a carburetor. This type screwdriver is most likely sold in a place where you can buy repair parts for copying machines or in hobby stores as most small Japanese model engines use them. JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard and they are identified by a small dimple in the head... they have JIS screws but also JIS bolts and other fasteners but the slotted screws are the only bits that require a specific screwsdriver.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!