Headlight issue

More
03 Oct 2007 18:33 #174437 by rdgrnr
Headlight issue was created by rdgrnr
Hey all,
My 650 wants to die whenever I turn the headlight on. It has a new battery and is taking about 13.5 volts charge. When I got this bike about a month or so ago, the headlight didn't work at all and neither did the left rear turn signal. About 2 weeks ago, after taking a short ride, they both started working.:S So, I'm thinking, OK, a loose wire. I traced everything and the only thing I could find was an intermittant short in the secondary red wire from the battery. I assume this is the one for the ignition? Is this the source of my problem, or is it the voltage regulator?
Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2007 20:25 #174459 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Headlight issue
By saying it "wants to die" do you mean it actually dies or starts to stutter and stumble? A checklist:
Check the voltage at the coils, not running, running and with headlight on
If the headlight is shorting out you would be blowing fuses.
Check, clean and tighten the clips on the fuses,if there isn't a good connection you may be loosing too much voltage due to heat buildup at the fuses.
Check clean all connections at the battery, starter solenoid and grounds on the engine down by the kick starter.
Under the tank check for loose or corroded connections under the black cover where they all join.
This is a partial list but you can see where I am going with it.
Ride safe

I know I'll get hell for saying "if there isn't a good connection you may be loosing too much voltage due to heat buildup at the fuses."
:laugh:
should be,, you will get heat buildup due to resistance in the fuse connection, and voltage lose because of the resistance.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/10/03 23:29

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
04 Oct 2007 04:01 #174488 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Headlight issue
When cold, rpm's drop to barely running, when warm it dies. I did find the ignition wire (red) looks to have gotton very hot at one point. (looks melted).
I will look closer at the ground and fuse panel today.
Do you know what the voltage range should be with the headlight on? \
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
04 Oct 2007 05:04 #174494 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Headlight issue
put a volt meter on the battery while running with the light off, it should be charging the battery, then turn the light on, it still should be charging, prob around 13 volts, if it is not then start checking the charging system

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
04 Oct 2007 19:35 #174615 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlight issue
If you haven't already, be sure to check the 3 connections at the voltage regulator. A couple years ago my bike had similar symptoms and I found one connection was not tight (the connector actually looked a bit cooked). I replaced all 3 connectors and yippeee, no problems since. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Oct 2007 10:00 #174896 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Headlight issue
OK,
I checked all connections and they seem to be good except for the ignition connection was a bit loose. I cleaned and crimped it a bit for a better connection...seems ok.
The charging voltage was about 12.2v, and when I turned on the headlight, RPM's dropped about 300, but charging voltage went up to about 12.75v.
It seems to me that the charging system is getting weak.
Any input?

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
06 Oct 2007 13:21 #174927 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Headlight issue
rdgrnr wrote:

Any input?

I had a similar problem on one of my bikes. As a troubleshooting method, I ran a new power line with a fuse and relay, triggered from the old headlight power. This ended up solving my problem so I just left it. It's just old, corroded wiring....

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com