HELP - Picture of battery leads/connects please?

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
10 May 2007 13:41 #138972 by Strizzzo
All right, I know this is kind of retarded, but can someone please post a couple pictures of how the leads are supposed to terminate? I've read the schema, combed through the related posts etc and I still can't seem to make sense of it.

Fair to say that I'. "challenged" when it comes to electrical systems and, having already burned up a set of coils a while back from miswiring after the last tear-down project, could use some visual guidance. I've got a white/red dangled, the two battery leads, one of which is has two ends that need a home, the other of which has two homeless ends but also a black/yellow lead disappearing towards the starter. I'm assuming the white/red is hot to go to the battery but directly on the terminal or somewhere else where the other end of the positive terminal lead is attached as well?

Anyway, thanks for any and all help; the lysdexics amongst us need big pictures.:blink:

Post edited by: Strizzzo, at: 2007/05/11 14:44

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2007 15:48 #138997 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Picture of battery leads/connects please?
What bike might You be referring to?
Put Your bike model and details in Your signature,ok...thanks.
This way,We'll all know what bike You have and won't have to ask when You post questions about it.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
10 May 2007 17:15 #139019 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Picture of battery leads/connects please?
Jesus - I'm even more dim witted than i feared. very sorry about that - 1978 KZ1000A. I will update my sig with such and apreciate the response.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
10 May 2007 21:50 #139104 by Sandy
Right on Strizzzo...much better.
I just got back to this post,and it's late right now,but if No-one else helps You out,I can get You some info on that tomorrow.
I've changed some of My wiring in that area,after I installed an updated reg/rec combo,and deleted the factory units,but I know what wires You're talking about...pretty sure I can help You.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
11 May 2007 04:42 #139150 by Strizzzo
Thanks Sandy - like I said - I'm a little skittish after having gotten to this stage of reassembly post rebuild before, only to shoot myself in the foot with the electric system. Guess that'll be my next learning curve, but right now I just want to see the thing belch back to life after a LONG hiatus of 18 months.

Should run like a scalded dog though - engine entirely rebuilt, 1075 piston kit, undercut 3rd and 5th,3 way valve, rebuilt carbs courtesy of George....I have high hopes.

Anyway, any and all direction for a daft comrade in steel/rust would be much appreciated.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
11 May 2007 05:02 #139155 by Strizzzo
Thanks Sandy - like I said - I'm a little skittish after having gotten to this stage of reassembly post rebuild before, only to shoot myself in the foot with the electric system. Guess that'll be my next learning curve, but right now I just want to see the thing belch back to life after a LONG hiatus of 18 months.

Should run like a scalded dog though - engine entirely rebuilt, 1075 piston kit, undercut 3rd and 5th,3 way valve, rebuilt carbs courtesy of George....I have high hopes.

Anyway, any and all direction for a daft comrade in steel/rust would be much appreciated.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
12 May 2007 14:34 #139463 by Sandy
Strizzo...can You post a pic of the exact wires that You're referring to,Bud...just to be clear...

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
12 May 2007 19:35 #139554 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Picture of battery leads/connects please?
I think the 78 kz1000a has a junction box affair like the older bikes... big plugs on the left side of the battery box? blue, white, brown, green plugs? OK, from memory... the stator is three phase and uses blue, red and yellow wires... these come up from the stator and tee to the regulator and rectifier. Power comes OUT the rectifier on a white wire which splits and one leg goes to the MAIN FUSE and the other to the BIG post (nearest battery) on the starter solenoid. I think the white/red is the wire going to the main fuse. Black/yellow is ground and will ALWAYS plug into another black/yellow. The only ground on the bike that is not black/yellow is the NEG battery cable which likely connects to the engine cases above the kick start on your bike. I get the white and white/red confused in my head since you can't really see where they come from on the junction box bikes... The hot wire coming OUT of the fuse box and going to the ignition switch is a heavy gauge white wire.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
14 May 2007 14:38 #139969 by Strizzzo
Well - I did something stupid that's for sure. I did manage to get it going - and what a pleasure it was to hear the engine belch to life after so long a sojourn, but I definitely wired something up bone-headedly as the starter was sounding funny and then the bike cut out after a min or two, not to start again. When I examined the leads etc I found that I had melted the positive mount on the battery itself.....zoinks - pretty sure that's not supposed to be how it works!:S

So I'm very much hoping I didn't fry my entire electric system. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the way I currently have it rigged up and hopefully someone can tell me where I went frightfully awry. Then I'll try and get it right and see if I did irreparable damage to the electrics.

Thanks much for the help along the way - obviously I can use some more.

Post edited by: Strizzzo, at: 2007/05/14 18:23

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
15 May 2007 15:02 #140376 by Strizzzo
Ok - so I'll try to upload some pics and describe the scene. As you can see I have attached the one end of the positive battery lead on the upper right hand corner mount and also attached to that mount the white/read lead that goes back to the fuse box and somewhere else (DC?). On the lower left hand mount is attached the heavy lead that comes from the engine case.

On the other side (negative lead pic) I have the negative battery lead attached to the metal box mount that the battery sits in and the black/yellow goes back wherever it is hardwired too.

Obviously I did something boneheaded as the last picture shows what happened to the battery. Any and all feedback much appreciated. Incidentally, there is also a thin red lead which you can see in the picture that hangs off the positive battery lead and I also have no clue.

I guess that sums it up pretty well - not much of a clue. Feel a bit like I'm doing battle once again with Lucas the prince of darkness (previous MG owner). I swear electrics will be the end of me....

Post edited by: Strizzzo, at: 2007/05/15 18:07

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME
Attachments:

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
15 May 2007 15:02 #140377 by Strizzzo
another

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME
Attachments:

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
15 May 2007 15:03 #140379 by Strizzzo
another

Post edited by: Strizzzo, at: 2007/05/15 18:04

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME
Attachments: