HELP - Picture of battery leads/connects please?

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
15 May 2007 15:05 #140380 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Picture of battery leads/connects please?
Annnnnnnd - result.

Post edited by: Strizzzo, at: 2007/05/15 18:05

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2007 19:06 #140443 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Picture of battery leads/connects please?
Strizz...that WHITE wire,that LOOKS like it's attached to the white/red wire...does it come from the fuse-box?If so...it does NOT get connected to the negative terminal of either the solenoid,or the battery.
On MY bike(and like I said,I got rid of the rec/reg,but for the most part,it's still the same)...
In the attached pic,You'll see that I have a WHITE wire that goes to the POSITIVE side of the battery.It's connected to a splitter,and from there it splits off to both the back of the solenoid,(POSITIVE side),and also the fuse-box,(MAIN).

SO...from the fuse-box,that wire ties into the back of the solenoid,and also the battery.
So let's start there,and see...

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2007/05/16 00:53

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Attachments:

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
17 May 2007 15:28 #141068 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Picture of battery leads/connects please?
Sandy,

Thank you very much for the useful info. I ran the white straight to the positive battery mount and have retried my efforts. unfortunately I can't get it to turn over - sounds like it's about to catch and then nada; to be repeated until battery dies. The charge again.

The latest round now yielded the negative battery post having been melted in a simillar manner to the picture of the positive. Any idea if this could be caused just from draining it heavily or have I good and wrecked something in the electrics....?

Thanks for all the help so far.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
17 May 2007 16:38 #141088 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Picture of battery leads/connects please?
Hi Strizzo.
You're welcome for the help Bud,and I wish I could do more,but it's really difficult when I don't really know exactly what You have going on.
Chances are...You fried Your battery,Bud,and hopefully that's all.
When You charge the battery fully(with a low amp charger...1-2 amps)You'll have to see how many volts it's holding.Wait about an hour and see if the volts drop dramatically.If it still holds a solid 12 volts,and not under 12,(not connected to the bike at this point either,ok)then I would GUESS that the battery is ok,but can't say for sure.It might APPEAR to be fine,but it would need to have a load put on it to be sure.
I'm not the "Guru" when it comes to this sort of stuff,but I can help out with SOME trouble-shooting.

Do You have a volt meter?If You do,go and see what volts You're getting off the battery right now.
I wonder if maybe You shorted out the starter solenoid?
Anyway...see what volts are on the battery if You can...

1977 KZ1000 A-1