Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Walked all summer ! 28 Nov 2006 07:23 #95609

• James,Cahill
  • James,Cahill's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes walked all summer!Have been riding 84 ZN750 SE for many years and must say without any problem ,allowed an exfriend of mine to have a ride on it and it was dropped ,small damage ,ign cover,foot pegs on right side ,shock and handle bars ,all repaired or replaced .
Bike has never been the same ,at road speeds it is mostly great ,odd spit or hesitation but livable ,at idle speed it is one bike that has a mind of it's own ..
One time it will jump at the chance to get its ass down the road and the next time (trying to beat an eighteen wheeler approaching )when just pulling into traffic it will get you to the center of the road and quit.
Well I did not get to be an old man by acting foolish so I decided that it would not be ridden until it was working correctly ,that was one year ago and in the early spring I checked around and found what I thought was the best option ,(price and ability wise )for repairs ..
Having been a rider all my life and own lot,s of tools and know how to use them and having worked on bikes since 1945 when I started riding ,this was a come down for me ,but being smart I also know that I had my limations and so shopped out the work in the early spring ,the shop had the bike with all my test results written down and they were complete and retained it for four months and then admitted that they could not fix it.
I then gave to the Kawasaki dealer who clamed that his top men could find the problem in less than two hours ,This did not happen and now I shall pick up my bike with my truck as we now have snow and try to do the work myself ,if you feel I am crying on your shoulder then you have the correct feeling but all I ask for is some little information on this problem and an insight into it,s repair ,I shall list the testing that I have done for your information and thank you in advance for any and all information that you may give ,do enjoy visiting your site and as they say Let the good times rolllllll!!!!

Tests were done and accepted results were found .
Coils ,ign pickups ,timing ,cylinders were balanced via the mercury bar:,bike starts hot or cold on the first try and responds to gentle or harsh requests from the hand throttle ,while on the choke in the warming up peroid it retains it,s normal rpm status ,when it indicates that it is warm and is running rich and the choke is removed it then becomes iratic and the tack will climb to app:4000-5000 which it shall hold for a moment and then slowly start to slow down and with experience after it passes below the idle (1000rpm)I know that it shall stall and just the slightest touch of the throttle will send the tack back to the top RPM and the process will start again .The air screws have no effect on the idle speed and the idle screw does contron the idle speed but has no effect on the fluctionations and like I have stated I have done all tests in the book with the exceptation of testing the Ignitor as I am not so equiped ,the fact that it performs in all speeds on the road leads me to believe that it is not part of the problem ..
I could go on and on and by the leangth of this note I have so please forgive me and do respond as tiis old man only has only a few rides (on motorcycle )left and would like to be out and about by the 24/5/007.
With respect James P Cahill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walked all summer ! 28 Nov 2006 08:25 #95624

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Kinda sounds like she is sucking air. Are the carb boots OK? And check the carb to engine boots connectors. And the carb synching plugs. Spray some wd40 around the carbs with it running to see if she changes RPM. Hoe it helps;)

Walked all summer ! 28 Nov 2006 10:26 #95649

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
Does sound lean sort of, how bad was the ignition cover damaged?
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Walked all summer ! 28 Nov 2006 11:32 #95670

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Hi James! Sounds like the shop owners have been having some vacation time on your dime! bwhahahaha

Anyway, as for the carb issue, you have an air leak. Are the carbs Mikuni BS series or Keihin CV? Each has areas unique to them that can cause the erratic idle.

As for the dealer checking the ignition, I would still check the voltage at the coils. See the coil repowering mod article on my web site.

Last, I would carefully examine the stuff under the points cover. If your pickup coils got bent or if there is a mechanical advance and it sustained damage (bending), this stuff should be replaced.

I will not disrespect the folks who have worked on your bikes but geriatric bike problems are not the strong point of today's mechanic. Put your bike year/location in your signature. If I were nearby, I guess I would just come take a look. I could fix any problem in two hours! hehe (sorry, couldn't resist that line)
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: