Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

HELP!! ´84 GPz550 with emissions system removed - Forgot how to assemble back!! 18 Nov 2006 17:40 #93009

• kawadruida
  • kawadruida's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello guys:

I´m just about to finish an extensive overhaul on my bike, an ´84 GPz550 with the infamous fuel emissions control system removed and both reed valve covers joined by a piece of hose. Unfortunately I don´t remember how to put back the fuel lines (if I just had taken some pics before disassembling...

OK, I´ll try to explain the situation:

From the fuel petcock runs a hose to the inlet of a little electrical fuel pump fitted by one of the PO´s (don´t know why...), from the fuel pump outlet runs another piece of hose to the fuel filter, and there begins my trouble. Judging from the diameter, the fuel filter must connect with a piece of hose that pops up from a line at the back of the carburetor assembly (where the air filter ducts join the carbs). But I found another piece of a smaller diameter hose that pops up from the front of the carbs assembly (there are three other plugged hoses in that line too) that I don´t know where it must go. Also I have a piece of hose that must fit one of those two little tubes that pop out from the bottom of the tank (it has traces of the same yellow paint as the tank before I had it repainted).

What are the two little tubes coming out from the bottom of the tank for? What must they connect given that the separator and canister are gone? Can one of them remain as is, not connecting to anything? Where does the little hose at the front of the carbs goes? Is the larger diameter hose at the back of the carbs the fuel inlet? Why in the hell does this bike has a fuel pump?

As you see, I have too many questions, and can´t figure the answers for myself...

Please carburetor wizards, come and share some of your wisdom with a poor ignorant mortal!

PS: I can post some pics if needed. (Must go and shoot them first... LOL)

Post edited by: kawadruida, at: 2006/11/18 21:31

Post edited by: kawadruida, at: 2006/11/18 21:32

Post edited by: kawadruida, at: 2006/11/19 08:34

Post edited by: kawadruida, at: 2006/11/19 08:35

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HELP!! ´84 GPz550 with emissions system removed - Forgot how to assemble back!! 19 Nov 2006 05:37 #93098

• kawadruida
  • User
Can anyone give me just a clue? It´s the only ****ing thing that keeps me from riding my babe!!!

Thanks anyway, peace.

HELP!! ´84 GPz550 with emissions system removed - Forgot how to assemble back!! 19 Nov 2006 07:48 #93128

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
unfortuantely my haynes manual doesn't have a nice pic of the fuel lines, but it does have pics of the emissions connections, which is probbaly half the battle:

img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gpz55001at8.jpg

img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gpz55002cd4.jpg

img455.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gpz55003rg4.jpg

click on the screen to expand. good luck!

www.kawasaki.com has diagrams of the carb assembly. youmight want to check if your bike is the california model or the other one.

Post edited by: duncan, at: 2006/11/19 11:55

HELP!! ´84 GPz550 with emissions system removed - Forgot how to assemble back!! 19 Nov 2006 09:50 #93160

• kawadruida
  • User
Duncan, thanks for your input! My Clymer doesn´t detail the carb/fuel lines/emission control system, it´s focused on KZ500/550 early models, just giving very brief info about later ones. I wish I had the factory manual...

Anyway, I kinda figured it myself and discovered that the front vacuum line has been plugged. That leaves me just with the hose that comes from under the tank, I guess it must connect to the petcock vacuum outlet. Please tell me if this makes any sense, the other possibility is that it´s acting just as a tank vent hose, judging from the diagram yo attached.

Right now I´m going to fetch some fresh gas and give it a shot, wish me luck!

Cheers

HELP!! ´84 GPz550 with emissions system removed - Forgot how to assemble back!! 19 Nov 2006 13:54 #93216

• kawadruida
  • User
Battery went dead about after 5 seconds cranking the engine...

AAARGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! FORGOT TO CHARGE IT BEFORE PUTTIG THINGS BACK TOGETHER! I think dork is a good word to describe how I feel about myself right now.

Gonna charge it tomorrow, will post my success, or my failure...

HELP!! ´84 GPz550 with emissions system removed - Forgot how to assemble back!! 19 Nov 2006 22:38 #93375

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
the kawasaki site says there is a 550A1 (49 state) and a 550A1L (california) model, but there's only one parts list titled A1, that inludes the parts variations for the 49 state, california, and canadian models. if you click 'canister', you get the same picture i posted above for the evaporative system.

i had to read the haynes decription about 10 times, but it finally started to make sense. it seems that the bottom half of #4 (the separator assembly) is the fuel pump that's driven by the vacuum from tube #8.

i would think that you could remove all the evaporative stuff in the diagram, and cap all the connection openings at the carbs, fuel tank and air cleaner. then instal a vented gas cap and everything should work fine. [edit...actually hose#10 should proabaly not be capped at the carbs, but vent to air]

but i'm just running on intuition, so i could be wrong :pinch: ...good luck :)

Post edited by: duncan, at: 2006/11/20 07:40

HELP!! ´84 GPz550 with emissions system removed - Forgot how to assemble back!! 22 Nov 2006 18:41 #94159

• kawadruida
  • User
Duncan: Thanks again for your concern. I removed that alien fuel pump and gas just flows normally to the carbs. It seems the bike has all the vacuum hoses capped: petcock, carbs and tank.

Anyway, now the bike doesn´t want to start, I´ve already submitted another post on the subject...

Cheers

HELP!! ´84 GPz550 with emissions system removed - Forgot how to assemble back!! 22 Nov 2006 20:58 #94194

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Engine side of carbs, all should be capped except one, and that should go to the small nipple on the petcock. The two on the air filter side of the carbs are breathers, and should have lines ran up out of the way from any dirt if possible. The last big one on the intake side is obviously fuel inlet.

www.buykawasaki.com has diagrams for your model.

I'll be out for a while, but will check back later.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

HELP!! ´84 GPz550 with emissions system removed - Forgot how to assemble back!! 23 Nov 2006 08:12 #94292

• kawadruida
  • User
Corey: Thanks for chiming in! I´ve seen the diagrams at kawasaki.com, but had a hard time understanding that mess of hoses, cnisters, separators and other **tty stuff. Anyway, my bike definitely has the carb vacuum hose and the petcock vacuum hose capped and the tank return (left side outlet under the tank) blocked. So, it ´s "staright" like my older Z550.

Anyway, the son of a gun doesn´t wanna fire at all...

Thanks a lot, will keep you posted.

• Page: