Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Soaking Carbs 02 Nov 2006 15:29 #89396

• Wamphyri86
  • Wamphyri86's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I searched the forum and checked out the diagrams that I have on the carbs for my 1978 KZ1000A2. I bought K&L rebuild kits and plan to use all of the new parts. I am wondering if I soak the carbs in a cleaner like Berrymans are there any o-rings other than the 4 that come with the kits or anything else that might get damaged with getting soaked?

Thanks
Wamphyri

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Soaking Carbs 02 Nov 2006 15:54 #89404

• flht1997
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
been thinking of this exact thing for awhile. i was wondering if anyone has used one of those cheap ultrasonic cleaners you see out there now. i don't know if they would do the job, but from what i hear they are suppose to be pretty good for carbs and other small things.
and i have tried soaking and all that. i seem to get about the same results with a few cans of good carb cleaner and an air compressor. i got one of those Vacula blow guns with the little rubber tip, works real good, (that is until you launch a emulsion tube out of it like a rocket and spend a day looking for it)
Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

Soaking Carbs 02 Nov 2006 16:15 #89405

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
I don't know about Berrymans or the ultrasonic thing, but I've used the Napa dip and I think it's as strong as it gets. When you take your parts out of that stuff the parts look like they've been polished nearly. Rubber orings will be all soft and soggy, but after drying they return to their natural hard as a rock nature, so no damage done.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Soaking Carbs 02 Nov 2006 17:53 #89428

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 432
If you dont separate the carb there are probably O rings on the brass fuel lines that connect the carbs and these could get somewhat softened up.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Soaking Carbs 02 Nov 2006 18:40 #89434

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i soaked my first set in gunk's and it ruined the o-rings...they never popped back to original...
but then i left them in there a long time!:laugh:

Soaking Carbs 03 Nov 2006 01:11 #89477

• DrRatchet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Barrymans doesn't seem to swell the rubber bits like the old chlorinated dips used to... That being said, if you fully disassemble the carb, you should find all the rubber bits, plus all the external stuff, like the fuel pipes that go carb-to-carb, and the choke plunger. Also look for the rubber grommets and stuff around the throttle shaft.

/LOL at flht1997, and then crying 'cause I did the same thing with the choke rod detent ball two weekends ago!

. 03 Nov 2006 07:17 #89509

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Soaking Carbs 03 Nov 2006 08:39 #89518

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
The Napa stuff is still available. It works really great, more of an industrial strength solution than the stuff you'll likely buy at Checkers ect. I forget exactly what it's called, but it comes as a bucket about half full of solution with a removable screen dip pan you put your small parts in. Remove the dip pan and you can dip about half a bank of carbs in to do the bodies. I never had a problem. Instructions I believe say dip for 20 minutes. Put a brown cruddy looking jet in there, wait 20 minutes and it's shiney brass again. Highly recommended cleaner.
JMKZHI wrote:

What DrR said (except about the Berryman's not ruining o-rings - I've never put a rubber part in it to check). About the only time an o-ring might not be found is when the air mixture screws have a metal plug over 'em & you didn't know it. Even then, the mixture screws on those carbs may not have an o-ring anyway, so not to worry (my 81 650 doesn't have 'em).

Ron, just curious. About how long do you soak 'em in the NAPA carb soak & is the same product still available? I'm all for shiny carbs if it requires no polishing by me. hee. JMK.<br><br>Post edited by: JMKZHI, at: 2006/11/03 10:19

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: