• Page:

TOPIC:

Carb rebuilding 01 Nov 2006 20:36 #89232

• Rahn
  • Rahn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Great Site People!
I need some help! I just purchased a 1979 kz1000 police cruiser with the fairings and all removed. It's my 1rst bike and I like it! I'd like to really make it something I can enjoy, but it needs quite a bit of work. Is it difficult to perform a carb rebuild myself or should I seek a mechanic to do this? I live in Chino, Ca. and the weather is still great for riding. Also, what should I pay as a fair price for a rebuild? Your input is greatly appreciated. I've been quoted $350.00 +.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb rebuilding 01 Nov 2006 22:27 #89246

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
do you have any mechanical expirience? cars ect.? if you can get a manual, it should give you an idea of if you can do it or not. if you're completely new to anything like this and still want to try it, read as much as you can about it first. and if you have detailed questions during a rebuild, just ask and someone here should know the answer
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Carb rebuilding 02 Nov 2006 12:44 #89362

• AJL1957
  • User
:woohoo: I have a great name for you, Wiredgeorge, I just put a set of carbs he just finished for me and the bike runs beautiful. Just put them on and he's cheap, well I'll let him give you a price but it should be less than $350.

Carb rebuilding 02 Nov 2006 13:02 #89364

• AJL1957
  • User
Sorry! Here's his website, Excuse me I'm an OLD Kaw guy but a new contributor.
www.wgcarbs.com

Carb rebuilding 02 Nov 2006 13:27 #89374

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I just went through my first carb assy rebuild, and it wasn't so bad at all! All the scary talk about carbs isn't all that scary after all, especially if you do plenty of reading about what they do, how they work and why you need to do certain things.. you'll be fine!

Save the $350 for something you'll need later..

Good luck!
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Carb rebuilding 02 Nov 2006 13:32 #89378

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
AJL1957 wrote:

:woohoo: I have a great name for you, Wiredgeorge, I just put a set of carbs he just finished for me and the bike runs beautiful. Just put them on and he's cheap, well I'll let him give you a price but it should be less than $350.

I believe George will have a lower price and I am certain that he is "thrifty" but "cheap"?? NO, NO, NO

(Just a bit of humor)

Carb rebuilding 02 Nov 2006 14:22 #89386

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
If you get impatient and grab a bigger hammer at the first hint of recalcitrance on the part of say, a float hinge pin, then have someone else do them.

If you are the kind of guy who stops and thinks things through when you hit a snag, then go for it.

-Duck

Carb rebuilding 05 Nov 2006 01:46 #89756

• Rahn
  • User
Thanks for all the input! After the info given, I will talk to wired george and make the final decision afterwards. Deep appreciation. By the way,is anybody living in the Southern California area? If so let me know!
Rahn

Carb rebuilding 05 Nov 2006 15:23 #89852

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Hey Rahn, I live in Murrieta, CA. Need help?
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Carb rebuilding 06 Nov 2006 17:59 #90110

• Rahn
  • User
BLUE!
DEFINITELY! I'd love to do this myself, but I can sure appreciate the know-how from someone who has it! I'm new to the site and tried to contact you but I don't know if I got thru. Also, for your help I'm a professional Detailer and would talk in detail later about that!! Let's set a time because today was too nice not to be riding!!!

Rahn

Carb rebuilding 06 Nov 2006 18:18 #90116

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
Kind of bypassing the question, but I've been wondering what exactly does everyone see when they say the carb needs "rebuilt"? The way I've always done carbs is disassemble the small parts, soak them in cleaner, blow out the carb passages and voila' I'm "rebuilt". If the needles/seats leak, replace them as needed. Otherwise I've never, ever actually had to "rebuild" a carburetor in all these years.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Carb rebuilding 06 Nov 2006 21:29 #90169

• Rahn
  • User
Easy Answer!! What I mean is that although I'm pretty good at figuring things out on my own, I DON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT BIKES, so, I would prefer to say that the carbs need rebuilding. I've made enough mistakes in my past endeavors to seek counsel first B4 I make an attempt. I don't have that kind of time to waste so I prefer to learn from others with the experience. Make sense?:)

• Page: