Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

open exhaust 09 Oct 2006 21:31 #83057

• tnutz
  • tnutz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
i currently have full header and yosh pipe on my kz 1100 b1 (81 gpz) i was wondering if i had a custom bent straight pipe to put on from the collector back,would this run it to lean??? or is it still in the EFI parameters..or should i get an AFPR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

open exhaust 10 Oct 2006 05:52 #83111

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I think it would probably exceed the ECU's ability to compensate and it would run to lean.
In my opinion a AFPR (Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator) is not the answer, the real solution is an aftermarket EFI controller.

I think you can buy a aftermarket EFI controller for ~$350 now, or you can spend ~$150 for a MegaSquirt kit and assemble it yourself.

Just realized you have an 81 GPz1100, and I believe that has the Mass Airflow Sensor on it, which makes things more difficult as far as aftermarket or MegaSquirt controllers go, so I'd suggest forgetting the idea of a straight pipe (and I won't get into the noise issue).

I think this really belongs in the carb forum, so I'll go ahead and move it there.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/10/10 08:57
KD9JUR

open exhaust 10 Oct 2006 06:07 #83123

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
the 82 may be adjusted to accomodate.

On the 81, you should be able to do it by faking out the MAF or if it has a TPS by adjusting that. Idle is a different circuit and IIRC it's got a pretty wide range of adjustment on the 81.
Never had an 81 so haven't studied it carefully. A look at the FSM will show you what you can do.

open exhaust 10 Oct 2006 19:07 #83359

• tnutz
  • tnutz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
well this will be more of a because i like the sound more than performance thing...and my yosh pipe will be on like 95% of the time, but for when i want it on (like heading out to the beach) i will slip er on...So what i may do is play with pipe diameters, just go down in size a bit from the collecter back and see what happens..(it actually ran pretty well for the minute i had the muffler right off) so if i play around with pipe sizes i may just get it right...

open exhaust 11 Oct 2006 07:01 #83437

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
about the MegaSquirt:
the mass airflow sensor has to go, and you need a real throttle position sensor. The '81 FI merely has a Throttle Wide Open sensor and a Throttle Closed (idle) sensor, all other fuel calculations used the MAF. Further, the stock injectors won't flow enough, they were already maxed out (100% duty cycle) at "stock plus header" configuration.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

• Page: