• Page:

TOPIC:

Overflow drips when parked... 11 Oct 2005 16:45 #797

• savedrider
  • savedrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
I have all 4 of my bowl overflow hoses routed down together by the swingarm. After riding and making sure to turn off my petcock I always get a few drips of fuel under the bike. Nothing significant, but enough to make a small puddle. Is this something that's common? What could cause it? I know it's not a leaky petcock because it's only the same metered amount each time and nothing more.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Overflow drips when parked... 11 Oct 2005 19:27 #877

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
If I park on the centre stand everything is fine. If I park on the side stand I'll get a few drips. I know my petcock is fine and the float needles are fine. Someone posted a plausable theory a few months back which suggested that floats may tend to hang up on the inside edges of the carb bowls when the bike is on a sidestand and thus cause the drip. Sounds about whats happening to mine. Maybe the same with yours ?
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Overflow drips when parked... 11 Oct 2005 19:51 #890

• savedrider
  • savedrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Yeah, that could be exactly what's happening. I don't have a center stand to test that theory or I would.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Overflow drips when parked... 11 Oct 2005 21:49 #943

• jenshhj
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've only got a side stand, so I try to switch the petcock off before parking - this seems to have taken care of the fuel seepage problem. At idle or low rpm under minimal load the bike will run for a couple of minutes with the tap off, so once I see a place to park I switch the fuel off and use what's in the bowls to park.

• Page: