• Page:

TOPIC:

Bogging carbs, Wiredgeorge 20 Sep 2006 15:41 #78297

• baldy110
  • baldy110's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Well here I go Wiredgeorge.
My bike is a 78 KZ650C with 720cc big bore kit and 10.25-1 pistons, 4 into 1 pipe and pods. I have VM 26mm carbs with 118 mains, 17.5 idle, needle is third from top clip.
I also have a Dyna S ignition, Dyna coils and wires. I have mildy ported the head. I have owned this since new and I have never been able to wack the throttle open without it dying. Even when the bike was new, umodified with the stock VM24 on it.
The bike runs fantastic, idles smooth and great, pulls like a freight train and starts easily.
When I am riding the bike and I wack the throttle open it will pull hard and not die. It will die only if I am at idle and wack the throttle open.

From reading the the other thread I guess something is wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bogging carbs, Wiredgeorge 20 Sep 2006 20:09 #78360

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Various versions of the VM26 were used from 1976 to 1980. They vary WILDLY with regard to their internal configuration... air jet sizes, slide cut outs, needle jets and jet needles. For instance, rejetting for pods is SIGNIFICANTLY different for the VM26 for the 76 KZ900 version than for the VM26 for the 77 KZ1000 version although the carburetors look much the same.

To ID the carbs you have, look on the flange of one of the outside carbs for the ID mark. Eventually, I will put some info together on my web site but right now, I have it only in a spread sheet. The ID mark will ident the specific assembly. I think the attached pic will show the location where your ID mark will be located.

Anyway, get back and we can compare your set up to what I think might be appropriate.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

Bogging carbs, Wiredgeorge 21 Sep 2006 18:34 #78605

• baldy110
  • baldy110's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
The only ID marks I found was on the left outside carb. It haas the # 58 stamped into it. I was unable to locate any other numbers or stampings.

Bogging carbs, Wiredgeorge 22 Sep 2006 08:05 #78714

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The marks aren't stamped deeply but they are there. What is the badge on your needle jets and jet needles? Perhaps we can take a stab at ID-ing he carbs that way. The needle jets are the little brass things that go above the main jet holder tubes. They are press fit in from the bottom of the carb.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: