Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb venting Q 19 Sep 2006 18:45 #77987

• EsaPro
  • EsaPro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I have 2 hoses coming off of each of my '79 750 twin carbs - one from near the bottom of the float bowl, and one from above that. Each of these route over to the right side of the bike and simply hang there (four hoses in all). I was told that they are vents. The Kawasaki parts diagrams call them overflow tubes. But the ones from the left carb drip copious amount of gas after the engine is shut off. Takes 30 minutes or so before they stop.

Is this normal? If not, what to do about it? I am working towards getting the bike through VA inspection, and one of the points is the fuel system leaking, which these hoses do, but only after you shut down - while running, they are dry.
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb venting Q 19 Sep 2006 18:56 #77994

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Not familiar with the 750 carbs,but I would guess that the upper hoses are for VENTING,and the lower ones are for OVERFLOW.
If You're having a problem with the carbs overflowing,then I would suspect the needle-and-seat set-up in that(or both) carbs.
If they're(needle and seat) worn even slightly,then they WILL allow fuel to pass,and not allow the floats to shut the fuel supply off,and a trickle of fuel will seep through the overflow lines.
Do they leak when You keep the bike upright,after You've shut the bike off?...or have You noticed?
I ask this,because sometimes when the bike is on the kickstand,the float mechanism can get hung up if it slides over to one side...it happens.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Carb venting Q 19 Sep 2006 19:17 #78007

• EsaPro
  • User
I can't say I have noticed. I shut her down and put her on the kick stand (leaning left). The tubes "burp" gas. I have a replacement center stand I need to install. Perhaps I need to do that and check it at a level stoppage. I unsterstand the effects of gravity with the bike leaning left on the kickstand. I am just worried that the state inspector does not understand as such.

I have been thinking of sending the carbs off to WG this winter to get them right, but I really would like to get this passed inspection before then.
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Carb venting Q 19 Sep 2006 19:31 #78015

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Just for the heck of it,get that centerstand installed,and when You DO come to a stop(and shut the engine down),turn the gas off right AWAY...and see if that works.(for now).

Do You really think that by putting the bike ON the centerstand,that the Inspector is going to wonder WHY You did that?...I don't think so...a LOT of Riders do that,even if They're only going to be off the bike briefly.:huh:
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Carb venting Q 19 Sep 2006 19:40 #78023

• EsaPro
  • User
Heh, I am not trying to fool the poor soul, but I do need that sticker to be road legal. :cheer: I will put on the stand this weekend, as I hope to have my "new" (to me anyhow) master cylinder to install then also.

Thanks!
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Carb venting Q 19 Sep 2006 21:04 #78061

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Sandy is giving good advice here. I'm not familiar with the twin but have had similar problems with my 4 banger. I route the overflow tubes back between the swingarm and the gearbox. I have had overflow problems in the past which were only solved by replacing the float needle valves. I always use the centre stand. If I leave the bike on the sidestand it will tend to drip a little bit.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Page: