Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 19 Sep 2006 18:12 #77966

• KawasakiBob
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
And as I stated, why don't you help instead of sitting and whining that we are supposedly unable to?

Ya know, people help each other when they can as much as possible on these forums, and alot of us are pretty grateful for that.

Do you know the answer to his question? Are you the experts on all under 650 bikes? I'd really like to know.

If you are, maybe you'de find these forums more useful as the smaller bike expert instead of the forum whiner.

Most of us TRY and help each other at least, which is more than I can say for your posts on this thread.

If not go waste your time elsewhere, because most of us appreciate these forums.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 19 Sep 2006 18:27 #77975

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Trav: Check this out...look at kit KID-30 to KID-80 which is the fourth one down.

www.king-tool.com/industrial.htm#

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2006/09/19 21:39

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 19 Sep 2006 19:42 #78024

• wireman
  • Visitor
tellietubbie wrote:

We'll see , shall we? No one on this site even knows what a 500 is! 550's are almost identical,and almost no one knows even that.I say again,under 650, waste of time. Look at my previous posts.

youre absolutely right i know very little about the carbs on a kz550,of course i also know very little about the carbs on kz650s,750s,900s or 1000s unless its something very simple i usually run like hell when carbonators get mentioned!:whistle: now if you have a problem with brakes or chassis or certain electrical questions ,i can probably relate it as a general kz question and probably come up with an answer you want to hear.hows that sound to ya?:evil: i dont care if you ride a rupp minibike and need to know how to adjust the points we can probably come up with an answer given a chance!allright thats enough of wireman ranting,back to our regular scheduled posting!:P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/09/19 23:01
Attachments:

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 20 Sep 2006 09:23 #78159

• Trav
  • Trav's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Heh, wireman that image is priceless! I may have to shamelessly borrow it for later ;) Into the looney toones eh? The bat costume was always one of my fav coyote episodes.. he looks so regal and graceful, right up until he hits that wall.. lol!

ANYWAY- tellie, don't take it so personally. It's just that not as many members have 550's and therefore, there isn't as much common knowledge to be shared. When I posted this, I only expected a fellow 550 owner, or perhaps some universal carb guru (self-proclaimed or otherwise) to chime in with a lead. I don't intend for anybody to do the work for me, but I was just hoping that someone might know off the top of their head. Now there are some people on this forum that, for whatever reason, enjoy talking time out of their day (or perhaps filling their spare time) to make an effort to help beyond their own knowledge. So to Bob, I say thanks! And thanks for dealing with this semi-flamible issue the way you did.

Actaully what I was really hoping was that somebody had a spare jet. But I degress.

I realize I sort of started this thread off with my second post, but I have to admit I was a bit frustrated after two days and X views with no replies. I have been on this site since Auguest of 2003, and back then, there was ALOT of help to be found here for a 'noob' such as myself. However at the point that you swap the carbs from one little-know bike model to another little-know sister model, and install a big-bore kit yourself, and do other things to change aspects of a bike most other people don't know the specifics about to begin with, then you really aren't a 'noob' anymore, and you're pretty much on your own. Yes that can be frusttrating, especially if the mechanical part is just a bridge you have to cross to where you want to be.. riding the thing. However I enjoy doing the work myself as well, and when that's the case, it's much more satisfying when I can say I did it myself and that was the only choice I had.

So don't get too sour tellie, it's nothing personal. I think you realize it's just that not many guys know much about 550's, but I think it's coming off to others that you feel as if there is some prejudice, which surely there isn't. Anyway, if you didn't already know, there is a small cell of 550 owners (mostly gpz) at www.gpz550.com forums. CoreyClough, Nielage66, LouDhvx are all over there as well.

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 20 Sep 2006 10:26 #78182

• wireman
  • Visitor
Trav wrote:

Heh, wireman that image is priceless! I may have to shamelessly borrow it for later ;) Into the looney toones eh? The bat costume was always one of my fav coyote episodes.. he looks so regal and graceful, right up until he hits that wall.. lol!

ANYWAY- tellie, don't take it so personally. It's just that not as many members have 550's and therefore, there isn't as much common knowledge to be shared. When I posted this, I only expected a fellow 550 owner, or perhaps some universal carb guru (self-proclaimed or otherwise) to chime in with a lead. I don't intend for anybody to do the work for me, but I was just hoping that someone might know off the top of their head. Now there are some people on this forum that, for whatever reason, enjoy talking time out of their day (or perhaps filling their spare time) to make an effort to help beyond their own knowledge. So to Bob, I say thanks! And thanks for dealing with this semi-flamible issue the way you did.

Actaully what I was really hoping was that somebody had a spare jet. But I degress.

I realize I sort of started this thread off with my second post, but I have to admit I was a bit frustrated after two days and X views with no replies. I have been on this site since Auguest of 2003, and back then, there was ALOT of help to be found here for a 'noob' such as myself. However at the point that you swap the carbs from one little-know bike model to another little-know sister model, and install a big-bore kit yourself, and do other things to change aspects of a bike most other people don't know the specifics about to begin with, then you really aren't a 'noob' anymore, and you're pretty much on your own. Yes that can be frusttrating, especially if the mechanical part is just a bridge you have to cross to where you want to be.. riding the thing. However I enjoy doing the work myself as well, and when that's the case, it's much more satisfying when I can say I did it myself and that was the only choice I had.

So don't get too sour tellie, it's nothing personal. I think you realize it's just that not many guys know much about 550's, but I think it's coming off to others that you feel as if there is some prejudice, which surely there isn't. Anyway, if you didn't already know, there is a small cell of 550 owners (mostly gpz) at www.gpz550.com forums. CoreyClough, Nielage66, LouDhvx are all over there as well.

i figured that would put the fire out!:whistle: :woohoo: since pterosaur is missing in action the flying wiley is kind of a tribute to the great one till he comes back t us again,damn that sounds like a garth brookes song! :sick: :P

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 20 Sep 2006 11:29 #78222

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Since I was called out by name to answer, I guess I should first say that I didn't say anything because I don't know of a source to buy Tekei pilot jets. I also don't know of a source for the main jets but fortunately, small headed Keihin main jets work perfectly although they are not hex shaped, as are the genuine Tekei mains. If you need four pilot jets, I suspect you can do some research on what models used the size you require and then buy four carb kits for that model, if those exist.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 20 Sep 2006 11:55 #78229

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Apologies for calling you out so directly George. :blush:

You were a great help to me last year with jetting information and my TK carbs, so when I think of those issues, you are the first person that comes to mind around here. Looking back...my name dropping was actually a complement...not really a plea. :)

Here's hoping all is well in Mico, TX! :lol:

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 21 Sep 2006 13:26 #78541

• Trav
  • Trav's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Main jets is easy. I have heard the keihin jets work, and I believe one set of carbs I picked up had keihin jets installed. However, dynojet DJ jets fit just as well (they probably fit keihin carbs too). I think the #136 mains that came with the jet kit are right on, but I might pick up a #134 and #138 to see. www.dynojet.com/jetkits/jetassortment.aspx

$2 a jet is very cheap, and 5 sets of 4 for $30 saves $10.

As for the pilot jets, I only need ONE and all the carb rebuild kits come with #32 jets, and they always have a disclaimer that says the pilot jets aren't correct for every model.

The bike is running now on the #32's but it's lean.

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 22 Sep 2006 08:34 #78721

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Neil, I generally provide what info I can if I can provide anything useful. In this case, not sure what the answer is except to buy the correct sized drill bit. Tekei carbs just don't have parts readily available. Another thing to check is that some Yamaha bikes use the Tekei carbs and they might have the same pilot jet available listed for those models. I just don't know much about Yamaha stuff...sorry.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 24 Sep 2006 20:44 #79350

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Hey Trav,
Are the #34 and the #32 pilots the same, other than the size of the hole?

EDIT: I checked, they are different. The shank looks longer on the older pilot.

If so, I'll see if I can dig up a #80 drill bit (.0135", .3429mm) and drill one. I've never drilled a jet that small before, it could be interesting. Then I would exchange my drilled one for yours.

EDIT: Seeing that it is different, I guess that won't work.

This is the drill kit I have:
www1.acehardwareoutlet.com/html/product2102754.htm

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/09/25 02:28

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 24 Sep 2006 20:54 #79352

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
By the way, is this the pilot you need, in this kit?
Later gpz550 carb kit

The listing says it's for the KZ550 A1 and A2, but it's clearly for a ZX550 A1 and A2 which is the 84-85 gpz550. The price looks good too.

I think the fact that the later GPZ were ZX A1 and A2 and not the KZ A1 and A2 causes a lot of confusion and mixups in carb listings for the 550 Kaws.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/09/25 02:36

where can I get a #34 pilot for TK (550) carbs? 24 Sep 2006 23:57 #79372

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
tellietubbie wrote:

As I previously stated, under 650, waste of time. Prove me wrong......PLS. I'm a newcomer to this,Trav has sounded off previously {ref:cam chain guide fitting}.If this were a question about a 650cc + , no problem. Amazing that Kawasaki wouldn't expose the 500 to the new world,dont you think?. Wonder why???

I don't think there would have been a point. The 500 is the same bike as the 550 with smaller pistons. In Japan it's the same bike with smaller pistons in the form of a 400.

It's an issue of licensing. Japan has a cutoff at 400cc. The U.S. had no similar cutoff. Why offer the same bike in two displacement? That would be a waste because they cost the same to manufacture, but one would just be slower, and so would have to be at a lower price with less profit. The smaller displacement bikes are only negligibly lighter.

I'm glad they didn't offer the 400-4 or the 500-4 in the U.S. That would just mean there would be more mix up in used parts like motors parts, carb jets, and ignition advancers and probably other little pain-in-the-butt to get parts. By knowing that everything was a 550 in the U.S., I have a better chance of knowing what I'm getting on Ebay.

A similar thing happened to the KZ650. It was meant to be a 750, but Kawasaki didn't want to kill sales of the KZ750 Twin, so they put in smaller pistons. It was another marketing move.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/09/25 03:27