Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

BS34 Float Level Question 16 Sep 2006 10:38 #77186

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm setting the float levels on my set of BS34's on an 82 1000 and having an odd event. The float levels on carbs 2 - 4 are fine, and I use the homemade tool to measure the float levels on the bike and measure from the top of the float bowl.

When I do carbs 2 - 4 fuel flows right into the tube and measuring tool, and pretty fast. On carb 1, this is really slow and it seems like there is a problem venting this bowl.

Can someone explain how the #1 carb vents and if this maybe the problems?

Bike runs ok at speed and I get some popping and spitting through the carbs when cold - I cant tell which one but it sounds like it could be 1 or 2.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BS34 Float Level Question 17 Sep 2006 13:24 #77448

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
On the KZ1000/1100 versons of the BS34s there are two venting methods on the various versions. One system uses a tube with open vent located between the carb pairs... Looks similar to the system used on the VM carbs except both the 1&2 carbs have vent passageways that go up to the common "tee" and same for the 3&4. The other method has EACH carb venting independently with venting occuring via one of the two LARGE holes in the venturi edge. You can figure out which by blowing spray carb clean INTO the holes on the venturi edge and see which dribbles carb cleaner out the hole at the top of the bowl cavity.

If venting isn't happening as it should, the float system just won't work right. A vacuum or partial vacuum is set up in the bowl. Also, when checking float levels, make SURE that all air bubbles in the line are OUT... you can tap all you want but if you have an air bubble just up above where you can see in the clear hose, the only way to clear is to blow into the tube slightly and this will clear the air bubble.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

BS34 Float Level Question 19 Sep 2006 13:49 #77901

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
WG, thanks for your help on this. I think it's the last piece of tuning needed on my noble beast.

FM

• Page: