TOPIC:

81 KZ1000M Gas leaking past float valve? 11 Sep 2006 13:20 #75917

• Grantl
  • Grantl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi folks,
I recently tore down my carbs because gas was filling my airbox. From information given in previous posts I thought that my float seal seats might be pitted or have trapped gas tank gunk behind it. I completely cleaned out the carbs and tested the float valves by removing the valve housing and trying to blow through them while pushing on the little spring --loaded pin inside. When I reassembled the unit, I found that #4 still leaks out the overflow tube into the carb inlet boot.
All of the float valves seemed to hold pressure so now I'm wondering if the float tab might be not adjusted correctly to completely cut off the flow of gas or maybe the O'ring that goes between the carb housing and the float valve is leaking.
The other thing I'm considering is removing the stock airbox (huge pain in the ass to work around when removing or installing carbs) in favor of individual air filters mounted to each carb inlet. Your thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated.
Grant.
1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 KZ1000M Gas leaking past float valve? 11 Sep 2006 14:58 #75941

• vegasjetskier
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Are you sure it's leaking out the overflow tube? The overflows on my bike come out the bottom of the floatbowls, not into the intake boots.

81 KZ1000M Gas leaking past float valve? 11 Sep 2006 15:44 #75956

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I had the same problem (actually my brother did, but I have to work on his bike) with a 1982 KZ1000M. Only fix was to replace the float valves, and you can buy them at Z1 Enterprises. You can also get the carb to airbox boots from Z1, that will make removing and installing the carbs 100 times easier.
KD9JUR

81 KZ1000M Gas leaking past float valve? 21 Sep 2006 11:49 #78515

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
I ordered a new float valve for carb # 4 and 4 new float valve o rings. I also purchased 4 individual K&N style air filters from ebay. I'm confident that I can repair the gas leak but now I need to know how to filter the air suction tube for the exhaust reed valve system. Is there a small filter I can install to make sure I have clean air going into the reed valve system? Also, where do I route the crankcase breather hose if I completely remove the factory airbox? Is it better to just buy original airbox to carb boots and stay with the factory setup?
Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
Grant.
1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

81 KZ1000M Gas leaking past float valve? 21 Sep 2006 11:50 #78517

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
I ordered a new float valve for carb # 4 and 4 new float valve o rings. I also purchased 4 individual K&N style air filters from ebay. I'm confident that I can repair the gas leak but now I need to know how to filter the air suction tube for the exhaust reed valve system. Is there a small filter I can install to make sure I have clean air going into the reed valve system? Also, where do I route the crankcase breather hose if I completely remove the factory airbox? Is it better to just buy original airbox to carb boots and stay with the factory setup?
Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
Grant.
1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

81 KZ1000M Gas leaking past float valve? 21 Sep 2006 13:27 #78542

• ronjones
  • User
Hey Grant, from info in previous threads, you need to either block off the reed valves or use a hose to route the valves together (I did the latter). You will also need to get a crankcase breather filter. You may have to rejet your carbs, also. There have been quite a few threads about doing this mod, in recent weeks. Probably one of the better wrenches will chime in and give a better explaination.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• Page: