KZ440 Carb

More
06 Sep 2006 20:00 #74996 by rankinirn
KZ440 Carb was created by rankinirn
Hubby & I have been restoring his 81 KZ 440 LTD for the last year. Knew we had carb trouble so sent them out for repair. (Bike had been sitting for 10 years and carbs were dirty, and the reason bike was not running 10 yrs. ago) Still not working right. Problem...won't maintain a steady idle, engine dies upon rapid increase in throttle, runs very well at over 4000 rpm, spray engine starter on outside of carbs and motor races. So now he's wanting to get new carbs (doesn't trust another rebuild). What type of after market carbs would fit this bike? Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this bike running. Its been tuned up, brand new rings, etc. Compression is right on spec.
Thanks. I'm new to this site. I'm learning about bikes other than riding (my bike is an 86 Honda Rebel 450 with 8k on her).
Thanks,
Diane Rankin aka rankinirn
Nashville, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2006 20:30 #75003 by Sputnic81
Replied by Sputnic81 on topic KZ440 Carb
Check the boots between the carb and engine and between the carb and airbox. If they are cracked and leaking that would cause your problems. Then start watching ebay if they need to be replaced.

More
06 Sep 2006 20:41 #75006 by rankinirn
Replied by rankinirn on topic KZ440 Carb
We have individual pods on the carbs, not the airbox. Would that make a difference?

More
07 Sep 2006 01:53 #75027 by ibsen22000
Replied by ibsen22000 on topic KZ440 Carb
It sounds like the intake manifolds (carb holders in the parts list) are cracked and leaking air.
Pod filters are likely to cause a lean mixture, so it is not unlikely that you will have to rejet the carbs(pilot jets and secondary main jets) and maybe shim the needles, even after you have replaced the intake manifolds. Another problem is that pod filters and CV carbs isn't always the best combination when it comes to low down power. The pod filters can aslo slow down the action of the vacum slides, since the slides often need some restriction in the air filter to work properly.

30mm Mikuni VM carbs, or maybe as large as 32mm, should work on the 440, but I'm not shure what jet sizes,needles and needle settings that will work best though, so there will be some trial and failure.
I belive the guys as Sudco, Factory Pro, or Motorcyclecarbs.com might know a good starting point.

Also Dell’Orto PHBH 30mm should work on the 440. They can be bought from England for a pretty good price.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/KZ400/Ibsen/IMG_0010b.jpg

If you contact them they will put together a set that should fit pretty good for the 440 engine:

sales@dellorto.co.uk

www.dellorto.com/

And a few 440 owners have built their own intake manifold and converted to a single carb set up.

More
07 Sep 2006 06:43 #75061 by rankinirn
Thanks, your suggestions make sense for part of the problem, but what about the one carb pouring gas?

More
07 Sep 2006 07:33 - 03 Dec 2008 17:17 #75075 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 17:17 by JMKZHI.

More
10 Sep 2006 15:47 #75715 by rankinirn
Thanks for all your help. We no longer have gas pouring out. When we temporarily blocked off part of the pods the vacum leak was fixed. Any thoughts on permanently blocking part of the pods off?

More
31 Aug 2007 03:15 #167499 by cudamaker
Replied by cudamaker on topic KZ440 Carb
i have just aquired 2 1981 ltd kz440's one is parts bike both have a pair of keihin carbs, long story short all 4 carbs had ruptured diaphrams which can only be bought with slides attached bbest deal i found $174,00 each that was not going to happen i would adapt apai of mikuni's or die before i spent $400.00 on carb parts they said it was not possible to change diaphrams on the slides. not true! i was able to install the diaphrams from a pair of suzukimatic 450 mikunin's doing that and very careful & complete cleaning of allpassages jets & related fuel flow pieces i ended up using mikuni float needles to control the flooding problems (the keihin needles it seemed one had a weak spring inside for the float engagement pins so i changed them with what i had i think new keihin needles with the correct float level or lower if necesary, i had to set the floats lower than i thought they should be all this & careful static syncing runs as good or better than new any q's my email is mhemore@hotmail.com or call (509) 770-9664 ask for mike

More
31 Aug 2007 03:16 #167500 by cudamaker
Replied by cudamaker on topic KZ440 Carb
i have just aquired 2 1981 ltd kz440's one is parts bike both have a pair of keihin carbs, long story short all 4 carbs had ruptured diaphrams which can only be bought with slides attached bbest deal i found $174,00 each that was not going to happen i would adapt apai of mikuni's or die before i spent $400.00 on carb parts they said it was not possible to change diaphrams on the slides. not true! i was able to install the diaphrams from a pair of suzukimatic 450 mikunin's doing that and very careful & complete cleaning of allpassages jets & related fuel flow pieces i ended up using mikuni float needles to control the flooding problems (the keihin needles it seemed one had a weak spring inside for the float engagement pins so i changed them with what i had i think new keihin needles with the correct float level or lower if necesary, i had to set the floats lower than i thought they should be all this & careful static syncing runs as good or better than new any q's my email is mhemore@hotmail.com or call (509) 770-9664 ask for mike