Carbs over flow when bike is given throttle

More
05 Sep 2006 06:13 #74594 by Samurrocket
Carbs over flow when bike is given throttle was created by Samurrocket
Thanks for the help on the previous issue!!!

I replaced the ignition with the Dyna S and the bike run fantastic, with one issue. I cleaned the carbs inside out and now the #4 carb is overflowing back into the airbox through both the choke butterfly valves and the hoses that run from the bottom of the carb. I have rechecked the to make sure the all the jets were tight and that the O-rings were all seated correctly. i noticed the needle that extends though the piston is slightly bent. Is this enough to allow the overflow into the airbox when the given is given some throttle??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2006 08:23 #74620 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Carbs over flow when bike is given throttle
Don't really know what part you refer to as bent. I suggest that all this gas puking can be from one of two basic causes.
1. float system not working as it should due to float needle not seating or gas level too high
2. cylinder not firing and gas just pouring through unburned.

Easiest test is to start bike and allow it to warm a few minutes and then use a spray bottle on the #4 head pipe and see if the water rolls off or is vaporized. If it rolls off, the cylinder isn't firing and your problem will not be the carburetors but will be either valve clearances or ignition related. If the water vaporizes, then the problem is with your float level or the float needle isn't seating. Do the test and let me know what happens.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Sep 2006 17:38 #74726 by Samurrocket
Replied by Samurrocket on topic Carbs over flow when bike is given throttle
Did the test and the bike is firing fine. Replace the float needle and still had the problem. Pulled carbs from bike again and noticed that the piece that the float needle goes into has a small scratch that was not allowing the float needle to seat properly. Is there a way to replace this or can it be build back up and sanded until it seats??

Thanka again