bike does not start when cold

More
03 Sep 2006 20:42 #74335 by pato
bike does not start when cold was created by pato
kz 650 '78 B with k&n filters, vancehines exhaust and dyna coils does not start in the morning, it takes me almost a full battery to start it, once it is warm it will do fine for the day with a kick or with the electric starter

is the choke stuck and if so, how hard is it to move it?

does anyone know an independent mechanic near chicago?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2006 08:14 #74392 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic bike does not start when cold
Can't you move the choke arm up? You would be in a better position to determine if the choke was stuck than we would. If the bike is hard to start cold, it could be that your pilot jets are too small (#15s) and you need to install #17.5 pilot plus the gas pickup tubes that extend down from the float chamber tops may be clogged (no gas gets to choke circuit) or the holes in the bowls that have the check valves where the choke gas pickup tubes may be clogged.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 Sep 2006 09:17 - 03 Dec 2008 12:40 #74404 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 12:40 by JMKZHI.

More
04 Sep 2006 15:25 #74463 by pato
Replied by pato on topic bike does not start when cold
the choke arm moves up and down fine but does not seem to make a difference. the bike "warms up" after about ten to twenty times of almost starts. do I need to take the carbs out to check for the clogged passages you told me? where can I buy the 17.5 jets? do this use more fuel?

the bike has a dyna system. if the problem is that there is low voltage coming from the coils, can you suggest and guestimate the cost of getting an improved spark? thank you very much:silly:

More
04 Sep 2006 15:28 #74464 by pato
Replied by pato on topic bike does not start when cold
the choke arm moves up and down and everything looks clean. yes. I bought the bike two months ago. I have the manual but there is nothing about the choke. perhaps it is getting low spark. to get into the choke one needs to pull the carbs out? I am afraid of messing it and it would not run
thanks new world!:)

More
05 Sep 2006 08:34 #74623 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic bike does not start when cold
Read the coil repowering article on my website for info on more power from your coils. You can buy VM22/210 type #17.5 pilot jets from z1enterprises.com

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!