Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

She Is Alive!!! 24 Aug 2006 14:50 #72232

• Frazzles
  • Frazzles's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
This morning i heard one of the best sounds i've heard in a while. I heard the sound of my bike firing up for the first time since i got her. I'm was really stoked to get her running, but i'm still having a problem with my left carburettor leaking. It is just a steady stream of gas coming out of the tubes. I took it apart twice today to make sure everything was ok. I don't know what i'm missing that would make so much gas come out. I tried hitting the side with a rubber mallet in case it was the float. But it still pours. I got her running which makes my day but now i'm back to the drawing board to stop the leaking or pouring should i say. Any more advice that anyone would have would be awesome.

I want to thank everyone that has helped me with advice to get my bike running. It was an awesome feeling sitting there with my bike running.

Thanks Again,

Eddie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

She Is Alive!!! 24 Aug 2006 15:08 #72237

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Hey, congrats!
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

She Is Alive!!! 25 Aug 2006 07:01 #72381

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Lord... all the hammers banging all those bowls. It would be easier to just take the bowl off and push the float up and see if it is hanging. If it is, the float was likely bent at some point and is hanging on the inside of the carb. If you carry the hammer around, it won't fix the problem; just will jar the float loose. If the float ISN'T hanging, the problem isn't the float... or the carb. The cylinder isn't firing. If gas pours through, that means the carb IS DOING ITS JOB. The gas just isn't burning. The reason most likely is either:
1. no compression (did you adjust valve clearances?)
2. no spark (or very mistimed spark which amounts to the same thing).

There ain't many other things that can cause gas to drool while the bike is running. Of course, you can have crud in the tank that gets through and lodges between the float needle and seat or a grossly misadjusted float height but that about covers it.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

She Is Alive!!! 27 Aug 2006 14:21 #72836

• Frazzles
  • Frazzles's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
After many hours of taking apart and putting back my carburettors, I have located the problem. It's the Float needle. It's worn and thats why it was overflowing. I figured this out because i switched needles on the carburettors and believe it or not the right carburettor was leaking gas and teh left had stopped. So now my new mission is buy a rebuild kit and replace everything.

It's very exciting knowing that i'm actually making progess. Again thanks, to everyone for their advice.

Eddie

She Is Alive!!! 02 Sep 2006 23:39 #74203

• grace1
  • User
HI EDDIE I HAVE A TWIN ABOUT TO GET GOING AGIN SOON
CARBIE KITS ARE ON YOUR EBAY EACH WEEK TRY THERE MATE
GRAEMEB)
bendigo australia, gold mine country
MY COLLECTION 1978 B3 KZ750 AND 1980 GS1000G

• Page: