Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Do I need to rejet ? 22 Aug 2006 02:56 #71508

• AzKZ650
  • AzKZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just switched from a 4into2 to a Mac 4into1, the bike already had pods on it from PO...do I really need to rejet the carbs ? will it cause any damage if I don't ?

Thanks-Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do I need to rejet ? 22 Aug 2006 03:16 #71511

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Read This Thread about the results of not rejetting after installing a pipe and pods. :)
KD9JUR

Do I need to rejet ? 22 Aug 2006 07:04 #71547

• AzKZ650
  • User
:blink: Yeah, OK, I'll get it rejetted....:blush: Thanks Steel! Any advice on what jets to go with would be a Huge help, I'm clueless when it comes to these carbs.-Thanks Again

Do I need to rejet ? 22 Aug 2006 11:50 #71600

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You seem to be relying on what someone else did. Pull the carbs off and check the main jet size, the pilot jet size and how the jet needle is clipped.

If I knew that, I could answer your question. Since I don't know that, I can't answer your question. If the bike HAD been rejetted, further jetting changes may not be needed but we can't know that till we have found out what size jets are in there... If you go to my web site and read my comments regarding rejetting and possible engine damage, that is the official stand I take on the subject.

Do you have to rejet? Nah... its just that the educational process can get a tad expensive hehe
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Do I need to rejet ? 24 Aug 2006 13:19 #72211

• AzKZ650
  • User
Ok, pulled the carbs off and I've got the following:
Main: 90
Pilot: 15 (I'm 90% sure it's 15, my eyes aren't quite what they used to be)

and the needle was in the 4th groove one up from bottom. I think thats all stock, so PO never adjusted for pods...

I don't know if it matters but my bike also has dyna ignition.-Thanks

Do I need to rejet ? 25 Aug 2006 07:09 #72385

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
That sounds like stock jetting. You have also learned a valuable lesson regarding previous owners and assumptions. To get back to the matter at hand, your jetting may be a shade lean. I would think that the pilot jet is OK without airbox mods but you might want to bump up the size of the main jet. I can't imagine near redline performance is what it should be with a puny #90 main jet set. I would also look at my spark plugs. They are likely sooty. Take a look at them and report back in before proceeding to put in some larger main jets. If your spark isn't what it should be, you will make a sooty plug problem worse by rejetting at this time.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Do I need to rejet ? 25 Aug 2006 11:07 #72418

• AzKZ650
  • User
wiredgeorge wrote:

You have also learned a valuable lesson regarding previous owners and assumptions.

Yep, I made an Arse-out-of-Me :pinch:

Here's a pic of the plug:

I do have pods, no airbox, mac 4into1 and dyna-s. I wasn't intentionally trying to be lazy :whistle: , but when I originally did a search on jetting I found an old post where someone had added a mac 4into1 on his 650 and had not needed to rejet (though he did have the stock airbox). I was hoping not to have to work on these carbs as I do have a new set of 24's on order with you WG (just wish I had ordered them way Before the riding season began), but now that I'm into them I do appreciate the help in sorting them out. Thanks-Brian

Whoops!!!

Post edited by: AzKZ650, at: 2006/08/25 14:12

• Page: