Use sealant between carb boots and intake?

More
14 Aug 2006 14:57 #69394 by fergyfer
Just want to know if you should put any gasket material between the carb boots and intake? Didn't see any on the old ones I took off...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2006 15:02 #69397 by medic24
Replied by medic24 on topic Use sealant between carb boots and intake?
I never have... SO, IMHO it should not be required as I have never had issues after that... on several bikes

More
14 Aug 2006 15:08 #69399 by fergyfer
Replied by fergyfer on topic Use sealant between carb boots and intake?
Thanks! Just thought I better ask.

More
14 Aug 2006 16:39 #69416 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Use sealant between carb boots and intake?
I would try it without and see how it runs. Make sure the surfaces of the boots and intake are clean. With the bike running spray some stater fluid or carb cleaner on the boots and see if the idle changes. If not then the seal should be good. If the boots are new they will seal with no problem. If they are old and hard you might have a leak and then you can just take them off again and seal them up. Don't use too much though. It will squeeze into the intake and can come off and get into the valves.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
15 Aug 2006 07:43 #69591 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Use sealant between carb boots and intake?
On a four cylinder with new intake manifolds? I never do as I take my intake manifolds off daily but if I had a daily rider where the install of new manifolds was more or less permanant, it doesn't do any harm... just don't get more on the surfaces than needed so it won't squish out into the combustion chamber path when tightened. You don't want to get liquid gasket in there.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!