Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

petcock 78 kz650 b2 12 Aug 2006 13:25 #68977

• bobbycanuck
  • bobbycanuck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 78 kz650 b2 that is complete and running but my petcock isn't working. When I originally took this bike apart I tried to drain the tank and noticed that no gas was coming out( I had it set to prime and previously the bike had not been running). So I am trying to find a petcock or a rebuild kit for the kz 650 and I've had no luck with the dealers or the recyclers in my area.

Thanks

bobby canuck

PS. Sorry to anyone who was forced to read this twice because of my error.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

petcock 78 kz650 b2 12 Aug 2006 14:25 #68993

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
You can check WWW.Z1ENTERPRISES for a rebuild kit. But really for a few dollars more set yourself up with a manual petcock and ditch the vacuum setup
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

petcock 78 kz650 b2 12 Aug 2006 17:23 #69009

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Kents suggestion is a very good one on the non-vacuum operated petcock. Much less hassle in the long run.

But if you really want to stay with the vacuum petcock setup, there are still some available, albeit under a diff part #.
The original petcock part# (51023-1005) supercedes about 5 times, with the last part number being no longer available from Kawi.
I ran into the same prob about 3 years ago, and basically just found what other Kawi models equipped with a vacuum operated petcock and used the same mounting o-ring part#....and there's a plethora of 'em!
The one I ended up getting (51023-1375 I think it was) cost me around $80 and works perfectly!
The basic diff in it, is that the fuel connection fitting faces in a diff direction from the original KZ650 petcock = no big deal in my book.

Whatever you do, do NOT get one of those rebuild kits.
Just ask anyone here who has installed one (myself included), and they'll all tell you that it never truely fixes a worn out and/or leaking petcock.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/08/12 20:23
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

petcock 78 kz650 b2 12 Aug 2006 17:56 #69012

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
No gas coming out has to be something simple like it's clogged with something. The vaccuum setup has nothing to do with the prime position, when you turn it to prime, simple holes in the petcock are lined with simple holes in the lever. Simple and nothing to go wrong really in the prime position for gas to flow. Take it apart and see whats blocking the passages, should be simple.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

petcock 78 kz650 b2 12 Aug 2006 18:17 #69014

• OLKZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just tore down my petcock on MY 78 KZ650 last night. I attached a new length of hose to the vacuum port and stuck the other end in my mouth. I did say this was a new piece of vacuum line, right? Suck on it and watch the little piston attached to the diaphragm snick to the side. I could see it because the right-angle fitting where the fuel line from the gas tank is a friction fit into the body of the petcock and comes out easily (YMMV) at least on mine.

Once I knew that was working ok, I took the two screws out of the trim plate on the front of the petcock. This plate holds the lever in. Watch the thin compression washer that goes around the lever to put pressure on the lever against the 4-hole rubber grommet. I dunked the the intake filter end (which goes up into the tank) into the carb cleaner I was using to clean the (duh) carbs. I let that soak for a bit.

With the lever out, I was able to dump some cleaner into the lever cavity, where the 4-hole grommet is. It dribbled out various places, but some got into the intake filter, where I wanted it.

After a while, I blew high pressure air into the pasasges, looking for the ones that go up into the intake filter. After blowing air from the inside out for a while, I thought it was safe to blow aif from the outside.

I have some plumber's grease from the local hardware store. I smeared a very thin coat around the edges of the hole on the tank, keeping away from the last 1mm around the hole itself. I coated the tank around where the o-ring (which isn't round but more like an oval) contacts the tank bottom.

Bolted it up, snugged up everything, and nothing leaks. I seem to be getting gas, so I don't think I broke anything.

Like I said, this was last night.

Best of luck,

OldKZ
1978 KZ650B2 - Blue - runs!
New Dyna-S ignition & coils 6-2014

petcock 78 kz650 b2 12 Aug 2006 18:24 #69016

• wireman
  • Visitor
RonKZ650 wrote:

No gas coming out has to be something simple like it's clogged with something. The vaccuum setup has nothing to do with the prime position, when you turn it to prime, simple holes in the petcock are lined with simple holes in the lever. Simple and nothing to go wrong really in the prime position for gas to flow. Take it apart and see whats blocking the passages, should be simple.

damn thats twice in one day ive agreed with Ron,and one time was about paint!double doh!:S :P in the words of gunnery sergeant thomas highway:this doesnt mean we're gonna be taking warm showers together till the wee hours of the morning though! :sick: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/08/12 21:25

petcock 78 kz650 b2 12 Aug 2006 18:49 #69024

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
R to the 4th said:

Whatever you do, do NOT get one of those rebuild kits.

This may be good advice, but my experience so far is different. I have a vacuum petcock on my GPz which was leaking somewhat one year ago. Got a rebuild kit for 20 something bucks and carefully installed it after cleaning the thing up good. Bottom line is I haven't had any trouble or leaking since. It could start leaking tomorrow (I'll let you know):( but 1 year and so far so good. I guess if I were to need a replacement I would consider a nice old style, non-hoover unit. Anyway, I have gotten my money's worth with the rebuild kit. Good luck whichever way you go. :)

• Page: