general fuel injection musings. anyone with experience/opinions, please participate.

More
10 Aug 2006 01:35 #68447 by Lorcan
steell wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree with my hero Lorcan :)

When you install a brand new EFI system on a previosly carburated bike and you have to create a whole fuel map from scratch..

The ignition timing figures are normally in the manual. On a 750 turbo for example it's 10 degrees at idle ramping up to 30 degrees at 3000rpm. Just plug those figures into your map and you have your baseline setting. You can then do your fuel map, and worry about a full ignition map later.

Post edited by: Lorcan, at: 2006/08/10 04:36

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2006 03:18 #68449 by steell
Now I see the problem!

Some people read an engine question and automatically assume it refers to a 900/1000, I read a DIY fuel injection question and automatically assume MegaSquirt.

I shall administer a "Dope Slap" to myself immediately :D

KD9JUR

More
10 Aug 2006 06:47 #68476 by solomrus
my intent was for this to be a general fuel injection conversion thread.

some specifics were thrown out, but not specifics of what we're intending to do.

the bike: wire's z1, 1385 engine, boost, and chemical boost. fabricated intake/tb set up. megasquirt or micro squirt efi controller.

he's gonna run a dyna ignition system, four dual outlet coils to the dual-plugged head. micro has no coil drivers, and the mega will work w/it, but since i want to conserve as much space as possible, micro works best, and just let the dyna make sparks. i'll use it for crank signal to the ecu, but that's about it.

you can use the ecu to control fueling for N20 as well. you could program additional fuel be added via the normal injectors when the chemical boost system is running.

lots of possibilities.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2006 09:28 #68501 by wireman
i could understand first 5-6 lines,after that the techno went right over my head!:S :P

More
10 Aug 2006 20:05 #68642 by IowaKZ
I don't know much about this, but I am running the original efi on my bike '80 G1 classic.

If anyone wants pictures as a reference or would like a copy of the schematic, let me know, I'll be happy to share.

I don't know if this would be of any use to anyone making up a new system, but I thought I'd offer.

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
11 Aug 2006 00:16 #68669 by Lorcan
I'm going to be fitting one of these to my 750 this winter www.dtafast.co.uk/S_60_PRO.htm

What is the "micro" you are mentioning?

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
11 Aug 2006 01:40 #68673 by Dave Sloan
HI Lorcan the micro that was mentinonr=ed is the soon to be released microsquirt which is a part of the megasquirt fuel injection setup. Ive attached the link
www.microsquirt.info/
Main feature for bikes is the small size.
Cheers

Dave

Z650B2 - Injected

More
11 Aug 2006 08:02 #68725 by solomrus
that's it exactly dave! thank you.

sounds like you might be someone that would have some input on a project like this...

any chance that you have a web site, or some info available on your injection setup?

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
11 Aug 2006 15:49 #68815 by Dave Sloan
Hi, I dont have a website unfortuanatly but I more than willing to give a hand in anyway that I can.
Just let me know what info you need, I am running fuel only at the moment with the ignition from a GPZ750R1 (last of the mechanical advance but will be changing to megasquirt control as soon as I have the fuel side completely tuned. If you are keen to get involved it looks like the mega squirt will do basically anything out there! If you have a look at the MS&s Extra site
megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/ at this address you can see exactly what it can do. i must say I knew absolutly zip about fuel injection (even know I dont know much, lol) but I have learnt a lot and with help from the forum members it runs and I am busy tuning it on the road now, I have a video of the bike running in the garage if you are interested.

The setup on teh bike is Gpz1100A3, throttle bodies (35mm), fuel pump, injectors (180cc/min) fuel pres regulator,z1000J inlet manifolds (z1 enterprises)
sensors are really small theremisters with the table compiled using easytherm on the ms website..
I am tuning using a techedge 2eo wideband setup and a palm 111c using palm tune (also off of teh ms site)
Although I am going to connect teh wbo2 to the ms ecu and run auto tune shortly ( just needed to get a new battery for my laptop so that it can be run in a bag when the bike is being ridden and it will tune itself.
Hope that helps, as I say if you want any other info let me know.
Cheers

Dave

Z650B2 - Injected

More
14 Aug 2006 08:01 #69300 by solomrus
dave, that vid was awesome. gets me all fired up to get this project started.

the idle sounds rock solid, and that throttle response sounds quite crisp.

i'm sure i will have a few questions for you.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

• wireman
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2006 17:12 #69430 by wireman
solomrus wrote:

dave, that vid was awesome. gets me all fired up to get this project started.

the idle sounds rock solid, and that throttle response sounds quite crisp.

i'm sure i will have a few questions for you.

--r

fired up to get this project started!:woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :P oh im sorry ill go back to my corner!:P

More
14 Aug 2006 17:22 #69439 by steell
Check these out, so simple even I can make them :D :D

I did not make the ones pictured, at the moment I can't even get near my lathe and mill :(

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/08/14 20:27

KD9JUR
Attachments: