Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Exhaust tape on carb boots 08 Aug 2006 07:29 #67991

• cary
  • cary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
OK, another quick fix carb question. I have some pretty good, pliable carb holders on my 1000, however , last time I fired it up, it was still having air leak issues. Would wrapping the each carb-boot assembly with exhaust tape seal this up even if the seals aren't perfect?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exhaust tape on carb boots 08 Aug 2006 08:01 #67993

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
cary wrote:

OK, another quick fix carb question. I have some pretty good, pliable carb holders on my 1000, however , last time I fired it up, it was still having air leak issues. Would wrapping the each carb-boot assembly with exhaust tape seal this up even if the seals aren't perfect?

Yes, I would surmise that you could wrap each carb-boot assembly with exhust tape. However, after doing so I would suggest just throwing them away and replacing with new units.

. 08 Aug 2006 08:31 #67996

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Exhaust tape on carb boots 08 Aug 2006 10:25 #68027

• cary
  • User
well, I put the ones off my 1100 on the 1000, because they didn't have any issues, then, once on the 1000, there were some nasty surging and idling problems. the reason I point to air leaks is that when I spray carb cleaner at the boots, the motor sputter and smokes

Exhaust tape on carb boots 09 Aug 2006 05:58 #68225

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
New intake manifolds will solve the sealing problem. I suspect the tape won't. It is not intended for sealing intake manifolds.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Exhaust tape on carb boots 09 Aug 2006 22:37 #68442

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
  • Thank you received: 4
How abought silicone gasket sealer :huh:
78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

Exhaust tape on carb boots 11 Aug 2006 06:54 #68712

• wiredgeorge
  • User
If the intake manifolds don't seal, I suggest purchasing new ones based on first hand experience. Of course, if someone wishes to use gasket maker, silicon, tape, or whatever, it is his bike. Air leaks in this area focus COLD air on the piston crowns and this cold air causes a hole to burn in the center of the piston. When this occurs, it is pretty costly to fix the problem. While tape, goop and other possible solutions are cheap in the short term, they can be expensive in the long term. I have personally paid for first hand education in that area. My recommendation is that if they don't seal, pitch 'em!
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Exhaust tape on carb boots 11 Aug 2006 09:16 #68736

• cary
  • User
well... I talked to jeff at Z1.... turns out I had the wrong carb holders... there is a very slight difference in the 82 and 83 BS34 carbs, which affects their sealing to the manifolds. so after my new set of 82-style manifolds come in this particular problem should be sorted

Exhaust tape on carb boots 11 Aug 2006 11:46 #68776

• wiredgeorge
  • User
How are the intake manifolds different? There isn't a difference in the BS34 assemblies that I know of... is it the cylinder head?
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Exhaust tape on carb boots 11 Aug 2006 18:54 #68839

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
There is a difference and Jeff showed me when I bought a set of 34's at Mid-Ohio. The difference is on the intakes where they slide into the boots. The grooves on the inside of the boots are a little different. One has a larger U shaped groove and the other has a smaller square shaped groove. Maybe I have that backwards. Well it's something like that at least. They both will fit onto any other 34's but they won't seal right. If you have the right ones then the carb intakes will slide into the boot, the grooves will line up and the grooves will lock and seal to the intake. Jeff has both of them in stock.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Exhaust tape on carb boots 12 Aug 2006 13:17 #68974

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I have a couple sets of the 34 intake manifolds an both seal nicely so Jeff MUST have sent me the right ones. I wonder what the other ones were intended for? I also use the same manifolds for VM33 and CV34 testing and they work fine.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: