Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 06 Aug 2006 01:26 #67417

• CruisingRam
  • CruisingRam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
I have heard that GPZ 1100 1984 Throttle bodies are a direct bolt on, but someone said that you can adapt GSX throttle bodies onto the Z using J rubber intake boots- anyone know about this? I posted this on another site for those that browse around these boards- but I need to know fairly quickly so I can bid on the right ones on e-bay?
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 06 Aug 2006 03:05 #67418

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
  • Thank you received: 59
One of the guys on my site has done it on a 750 turbo head, which shares the same inlet spacing as the 1100 (and yes you can use 1100 TBs on the 750). He machined back the inlet ports as far as possible and machined new ones out of alloy, welded them on, blended in the ports with a grinder and bolted on the Suzuki TBs with Suzuki inlet rubbers. He got it started and running but sold the lot before going any further. One thing to bear in mind when you crack the throttle with such big bodies is that the mapping will be miles out, possibly too far out for a Powercommander to correct, so you might need an ECU with an accelerator pump function to make it run right.
760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 06 Aug 2006 05:25 #67441

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
By the way, it's the 1100 bodies that fit with J model boots. You need to slot the bolt holes in the boots as they are wider apart than the 750 boots, you can then fit them with a smear of Threebond and once dry open up the inlet ports a little to match the bigger boots.
760cc - 8.69@162mph
www.stormdragbike.com

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 06 Aug 2006 06:00 #67443

• CruisingRam
  • User
Lorcan wrote:

One of the guys on my site has done it on a 750 turbo head, which shares the same inlet spacing as the 1100 (and yes you can use 1100 TBs on the 750). He machined back the inlet ports as far as possible and machined new ones out of alloy, welded them on, blended in the ports with a grinder and bolted on the Suzuki TBs with Suzuki inlet rubbers. He got it started and running but sold the lot before going any further. One thing to bear in mind when you crack the throttle with such big bodies is that the mapping will be miles out, possibly too far out for a Powercommander to correct, so you might need an ECU with an accelerator pump function to make it run right.

Can you e-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. please- I have not even laid eyes on these TBs before, and I am wondering, if inlet size is close enough, and spacing is wrong, what is entailed in simply changing the spacing in the TBs? I know you brits and Euros are light years ahead of us in modding old bikes- and I am really wanting to get moving on retro-fitting old bikes with EFI on all kinds of models- but I want the hardware to be reasonably straight forward and not waste too much money on the first attempt- know what I am saying Lorc? I plan on using Mini-mega-marine squirt as far as mapping goes.
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 06 Aug 2006 08:35 #67462

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
Your best bet on any KZ is just to use the 1100 bodies, the Gixxer bodies were an experiment, I have no idea if they will work well or not. Learn to walk before you run eh?
760cc - 8.69@162mph
www.stormdragbike.com

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 06 Aug 2006 09:12 #67472

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
The GSXR 600 bodies fit in the J model carb holders, I have a set of bodies and the J manifolds and tried it.

Check out this thread in the injectors fuel and air supply forum on the msefi site.

ZRX1100 with GSXR throttle bodies and MegaSquirt

GSXR throttlebody spacing modification pics

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/08/06 15:32
KD9JUR

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 07 Aug 2006 07:13 #67730

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
here's one that has my stumped, steel...

i thought i found once where the MS will work with a dyna-s ignition, and for the life of me, i cannot recall where i saw that.

any recollections guys?

***EDIT***

strike that. i just remembered something else, and that will work out JUST fine. skip running the spark control, and just use the MS for fuel. much simpler.

--r

Post edited by: solomrus, at: 2006/08/07 10:16
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 07 Aug 2006 07:42 #67736

• CruisingRam
  • User
So many good posts- thanks guys!
I hate electrical stuff.

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 07 Aug 2006 10:34 #67775

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
I may have a set off a gpz750 or gpz1100, not sure. PM if you'd like me to measure when I'm at the workshop again. It will be a week or so. Going treasure hunting in old bone yard tomorrow AM. Supposedly untouched for past 15 years. Can have a look around there too.
-Duck

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 07 Aug 2006 16:38 #67860

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
If you decide to go bigger than the GPz1100 bodies (35mm) make sure you have enough meat in your inlet ports to open them out to that size. You don't want a step in the inlet, and you need to leave enough material to make a good seal.

Here's my 750 ports, the one on the left is opened up to suit the 1100 body, I'm not sure it could go another 3mm. Maybe on an aspirated bike, but not on a turbo.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
www.stormdragbike.com

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 12 Aug 2006 01:53 #68883

• CruisingRam
  • User
Duck wrote:

I may have a set off a gpz750 or gpz1100, not sure. PM if you'd like me to measure when I'm at the workshop again. It will be a week or so. Going treasure hunting in old bone yard tomorrow AM. Supposedly untouched for past 15 years. Can have a look around there too.
-Duck

I have a bunch of measurements off the MSEFI site- you have PM- are you looking to get rid of the EFI stuff?
I hate electrical stuff.

Gixxer Throttle bodies on KZs? 13 Aug 2006 08:43 #69087

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
The quoted spacing for the GPz1100 that was on the MS site was incorrect, I don't know if it was corrected though, read the whole thread to see.
KD9JUR

• Page: