Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Air Box Removal 02 Aug 2006 20:34 #66836

• jetbird390
  • jetbird390's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
It's late, or maybe I'm a retard, but I can not get that stupid air box out of my KZ440. I can't get straight at the screws holding the intake boots on without taking the airbox out. Tips?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air Box Removal 02 Aug 2006 21:08 #66849

• Sendhendrix
  • User
Intake boots...are you talking about the intake boots that hold the carbs to the cylinder head? If so, you ought to be able to jimmy the carbs out from in between the airbox boots and the intake boots with a lot of huffing and puffing for access to the intake boots.

If you MUST get the airbox out, you will have to remove the rear wheel, sorry. I've tried everything but that's the only way. Even then it's a tight squeeze, it's even easier once you pull the swingarm.

Air Box Removal 03 Aug 2006 04:30 #66872

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I recently pulled the carbs out of my 440. Took a lot of wiggling to get em out. When I shoved the carbs back in, I dislodged the airbox-to-carb boots, so I had to pull the airbox out. I didnt remove the rear wheel but just about everything else- seat, battery box, big gobs of electrics, etc. The airbox did slip out through the side of the frame, but it was like a puzzle to do it. Make notes or pics of stuff as you pull it off so it can go back the same way.

Air Box Removal 03 Aug 2006 19:28 #67020

• jetbird390
  • jetbird390's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Yea, I got the carbs out ok, but I stripped the philipps head screws holding the boots on, and the only way to get straight at them was to remove the air box as well as the carbs. I gave up on removing the airbox, and chose the ol' bang-the-heck-out-it-with-a-flat-head-screwdriver-and-a hammer-and-a-few-choice-words-until-I-broke-one-of-the heads-off method. From there I was able to rotate the boots enough to break the seal, bang a flat-head into the stripped hole and get them out (thanks to whoever suggested that in an earlier post). Switched to allen head screws.

I also own a 66 T-bird, and I've found there's nothing more satisfying than firing an engine up after a troublesome repair. Thanks to all the replies.

Post edited by: jetbird390, at: 2006/08/03 23:26

Air Box Removal 04 Aug 2006 20:32 #67214

• Sendhendrix
  • User
Good show, bro! Congrats.

• Page: