Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

inconsistant idle 02 Aug 2006 15:32 #66751

• udder
  • udder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ok i have a 78 kz 1000 ltd and the idel is all over the place i can set it to 1200rpm and itll be ok but when i come to a complete stop itll will stay around 3 grand. now if i let the clutch lever out till it almost engages itll drop but as soon as i pull it back in itll shoot back up. also if set it one ride and put it up ill have to adjust it even after its warmed up. boots and cable looks good so where do i go from here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

inconsistant idle 02 Aug 2006 17:30 #66779

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Sounds like an air leak. When it's warm spray some wd40 around the intake manifolds and see if it changes the idle. If it does you found the problem.

If that's not it then check to see if the cables are holding the slides open, it could be they are routed wrong or need a clean and lube.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

inconsistant idle 03 Aug 2006 06:33 #66892

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I think Kent's latter suggestion is most likely. Just bend over and look at the throttle cable at the rear. If you can't see a little bit of VISIBLE slack, loosen the locknut on your cable at the SWITCHGEAR end and turn the barrel adjuster a couple turns toward you (rear of bike). Watch the cable at the carb and note when you can SEE some slack. If there is no slack, the throttle tends to hang. The other reason that a bike has inconsistant idle is air leaks in the pilot circuit. Most likely cause, in your case, is bad orings on the pilot fuel mixture screws. These orings are made or nitrile or buta rubber and they do tend to harden with age and provide poor seal. Air can leak in and idle will jump all over. Another source of air leaks is that the pads on the choke plungers harden and again, air will leak into the pilot circuit via the choke circuit. If your idle jumps up, jiggle the choke lever a bit and see if it calms. If it does, the choke plungers are the issue. See the write up on choke plungers on my web site. Last, your carbs may not be seated great in the intake manifolds or the vacuum ports may not be capped or the caps cracked but this tends to make the idle high but not jumpy.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: