Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

#3 carb problums 21 Jul 2006 19:39 #63789

• kawsakiman
  • kawsakiman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
i have went through these carbs and # 3 is still pissing gas out of the overflow. float heights set, moves freely but i still have this problum. i'm hoping wg will chime in and wave his magic wand before i break down and send them to him. the only problum is i will be without my bike for a few weeks. please any help so i can still ride till setember? it was way to rich(117.5 mains on a stock 77 kz650 with pods and a vance and hines pipe) i have since installed 112.5 mains. guys, i'm stumped! this bike runs like sh#t! valves are set perfect and compression is fine (110 to 135)carbs are not my strong suit. plugs look ok except # 3 .why would i still be pouring gas out of #3?
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

#3 carb problums 22 Jul 2006 05:51 #63839

• craigpuckett
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
mabe trash in the fuel needle seat

take the float bowl,float and needle off/out and set to the side

take a 1/16 drill bit and wrap it with enough very fine steel wool to make it a little hard to get in the needle seat hole,be sure to use enough to keep the drill bit from contacting the seat,spin it in the seat hole with a drill motor until it shines, use a small amount to bottoming pressure to really get the little hole where the point of the needle goes shiny,blow the seat out with air to be sure the steel wool is all gone,reinstall and smile when the leaking is gone.

it has worked for me for years.

if you have a scratch or burr on the needle where the point is or if the needle is coroded this won't work.
contact Jeff @ Z1 he has needles and needle/seat assy's

#3 carb problums 22 Jul 2006 09:23 #63865

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I thought a crack in the overflow tube in the bowl can give this symptom. Heard JB Weld would fix cracks in the tube too. I really don't know tho..:S
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

#3 carb problums 22 Jul 2006 09:55 #63871

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Yep. Cracked overflow tube will do this and JB Weld will fix it. If you have to do it have patience and leave it 24 hours to set.

To check the overflow tube for cracks take off the float bowl. Hook up a rubber tube to the overflow nipple on the bottom outside of the carb. Fill the bowl with water, Put your finger over the top of the overflow tube. Blow through the rubber tube and look for bubbles.

It took me ages to figure out I had a crack in one of the overflow tubes.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Page: